• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Multi diameter base

Discussion in 'Industrial design' started by nilman90, Aug 18, 2010.

1. nilman90

nilman90 New Member

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone knows a way of creating a base tool with adjustable diameter. I need to place connectors (cylinder shape objects) upright on a base tool. The problem I have is, there are so many different diameters that it would be silly to make a seperate base tool for each diameter. Any ideas on how to use a universal base but with a way to adjust the diameter so that any connector can be placed on it after the necessary ajustments.

Cheers,
      Neko

3. johntargell

johntargell Member

Hi Neko - It sounds to me like you need a 3 jaw Chuck - this would allow you to adjust the base (chuck) for any size of connector within the range of the chuck. If the connectors are too large for normal lathe chucks you could try copying the principle on a larger scale.

Hope this is useful!

Cheers John

4. stewlenox

stewlenox Active Member

Hi Neko,
      John is right on the money with this. At my last job, we had a chuck that mounted face-up on our milling machine to hold round stock. It was pretty big. I don't know where we got it, but they exist, so you should be able to find one.

5. nilman90

nilman90 New Member

Thanks guys! The problem with using the chuck is that most chucks tend to cover a certain amount of outer surface area. I need the outer surface area of the connector completely clear as I am trying to print part no. on them using a marking gun whilts the connector rotates.

I was thinking of using something similar to those automatic extending car antennas but of slightly larger scale. Many diameter tubes which can move up and down depending on what diameter is necessary. But how would I go about doing this?

Any other ideas?

6. maniacal_engineer

maniacal_engineer Well-Known Member

many three jaw chucks have reversible jaws that allow you to grip the inside. The only rub is that if you overtighten and machine/ turn the object it will not be round when you unclamp

7. nilman90

nilman90 New Member

Yeah, this would work for marking some connectors but most are marked after placing an insert in them so then they behave as solid cylinders.

8. stewlenox

stewlenox Active Member

It sounds to me like you need a custom designed fixture. I do this kind of work on contract. If you like, you can send me pictures of the type of connectors you are using, and a description of the processes you want to perform, and I will quote you a price for the solution. Without seeing the connectors it's hard to recommend a good direction. If there is an off-the -shelf solution, my advice will be free, but if it requires custom work, we will need to discuss a fee. I will be happy to sign a non-disclosure form if you want.

9. maniacal_engineer

maniacal_engineer Well-Known Member

can you use the mating half of the insert and chuck that in a three jaw? IOW these are conectors right, so they connect top something. If you connect them to the something (the mating insert, the mating connector etc) that someone has already made, then it should be easier to grab onto that. you may need to sacrifice one each of mating sizes if you wand to custom machine it to have a common interface.

10. xmechanic

xmechanic Active Member

A rigid inflatable rubber bladder? Air supply could be operated by foot switch.