• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Need ideas for my mechanical engineering project!

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by engnewbie, Feb 9, 2017.

1. engnewbie

engnewbie New Member

So I'm not on here looking for someone to do my project for me lol but I would appreciate some ideas and I'm stumped.

We're supposed to design and draw a machine that builds a square pyramid that consists of layers of ice blocks, each upper layer decreasing in perimeter. Ice blocks are produced every 30s and our machine has to pick up the ice blocks and set up the pyramid including the upper layers but it can't build it from the inside. We have to find a way to design this machine that moves and picks up ice blocks at different heights but it has to be completely mechanical.

If you guys could point me in the right direction and give me examples of mechanical mechanisms that could work to accomplish those actions. Nguyen Duc Thang library of 2100 mechanisms has given me some ideas but I don't know...

Thoughts?

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Completely mechanical? One word: cams.

4. DerekT

DerekT Member

5. Frankvftw

Frankvftw New Member

6. kuohu

kuohu Member

The question immediately made me think about fairground claw machines.

7. VinceDan

VinceDan Member

See this as a solution