• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Need someone better at math :)

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by JC_Biggs, Jan 20, 2011.

1. JC_Biggs

JC_Biggs Active Member

Hey guys, first post on the forums. I am going to school for ME Tech and Im working on a project. I need some help figuring out the dimensions of a particular part. picture a plate of aluminum, 12 inch in diameter, 1 inch thick. now the plate spins on its center point and on the outer rim is 2 bearings (one on each side of the plate) , ok simple enough, the plate is 1inch think, the bearings are 1 inch apart..

Now the tricky part, is that the plate isn't flat, its shaped like a sin-wave so the tangent contact point of the rollers is gonna change throughout a revolution. at the 90 degree and 270 degree points (high and low) the plate would be one inch thick as its tangent points are where the rollers are 1 inch apart, but the more rotation, the more the tangent points change, until they reverse and go back the other way...

basically what im trying to get, is a way to plot that change so that i can put the radius into the part in solidworks. im sure it will be a compound radius, but im hoping not. lol so.. anyone that has a few to help me out?? and if this isnt clear, ill try to draw a picture or something. Thanks!

3. JC_Biggs

JC_Biggs Active Member

anyoneeee.... im racking my brain over this! haha. and i think i made it even more complicated..

4. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Any chance of that picture? :)

5. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Good call! I got lost in the 2nd paragraph :D

6. swertel

swertel Active Member

If the problem is that hard to define, perhaps you need to rethink the design to accomplish the same goal.

7. xmechanic

xmechanic Active Member

As to your question Biggs I wouldn't have a clue. I think I understand what your saying though, this is some sort of cam?

8. JC_Biggs

JC_Biggs Active Member

yes instead of using a swashplate. using a cam. im tryin to draw something up right now. new scanner isnt working for some reason, ill get it up soon as possible, its not complicated once you see it, i just dont know exactly what means to the ends

9. cwarner7_11

cwarner7_11 Well-Known Member

It would also help to know the diameter of the bearings...

10. xmechanic

xmechanic Active Member

Taking a wild guess, you are thinking of this for valve operation?

11. SaltCityTech

SaltCityTech New Member

I think this can be done fairly easily in solidworks. Sketch 2 points on a plane, one at +6,0 and the other at -6,0. Then create a plane the desired amplitude of your sine wave away from this sketch plane. Sketch 2 points on this plane at 0,+6 and 0,-6. Exit this sketch and create a 3D sketch and select the 4 points you have created in order around the perimeter. This should create a spline which mimics the sine curve you wanted (I'm not certain that mathematically it will be perfect). You can use this 3D sketch as a path for a sweep feature. Simply sketch a rectangle 1" wide on a perpendicular plane and sweep it around this 3D sketch. That's of course assuming I understood your post! Good luck!