• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • New engineering student here...

Discussion in 'Help, info & forum announcements' started by velvetpuzzled, Oct 24, 2017.

1. velvetpuzzled

velvetpuzzled Well-Known Member

Hello, I'm a newly enrolled engineering student. Just got into the first day of class and I'm overwhelmed. I don't know if I'm cut out for this. I'm afraid I'll fail my subjects and they'll kick me out of the course. But, obviously, I don't want to shift out.

What do you guys do to motivate yourself through hardships and tell yourself everything's going to be alright?

3. Marnie Dorsey

Marnie Dorsey Active Member

There are also times that I lose my self-confidence. I sometimes overthink and worry about even simple things. My parents noticed that and they brought me to a counseling center. I attended a few sessions that helped me build my confidence and improved some anxiety symptoms. I am not saying that you should this too. But the best thing you can do right now is talk to your parents and they'll surely help you out.

4. SenthilJPrakash

SenthilJPrakash Member

With the right attitude one can achieve anything they want with bit of luck, First of all you have to remember that you have come this far with hard work and belief. I don’t have the exact statistics but by starting to study engineering, you have already become a minority of people who can change the world for good.

Don’t give up. Even if you fail to get a degree, it’s not end of the world. Even the great Steve Jobs was a drop out from a college. Think about the people you will be helping as an engineer.

5. velvetpuzzled

Thank you for your concern. I actually considered going into a counseling center also but I prefer it online instead of going face to face. I was actually trying look for a therapist near me but found this instead https://www.betterhelp.com/advice/therapy/how-do-i-find-a-therapist-near-me/. I guess whenever I would feel stressed out about my exams and projects, I would seek out the guidance counselor in my university or try the online therapy.

6. velvetpuzzled

Thank you for your encouraging comment. I feel better after reading it. I really appreciate you for telling me that I am worth it and I should not give up. Really, thank you for encouraging me.

7. MSHOfficial

MSHOfficial Well-Known Member

Well the best motivation comes from getting good grades and passing the courses well. There are a few things one must do to ensure good grades in engineering. Firstly, you can have friends who are very good in studies, I am not saying choose people who are nerds, but you should make friends out of highest achievers in your class. Your group projects and other homework’s should be with a good team, especially with competent people. This is important because those account for 50% of the grades you get. And getting a good team means you already have half the work done. Having a bad team means overworking and usually ends up badly.

Secondly, a lot of practice. You have to give the subjects your time. You should study the material and try to solve questions (this is key), when you get them wrong you should ask your friends or professors. Without this getting good grades is fairly unlikely. Also, if you’re learning programming or a software, you could always try to program and/or draw something similar, you can post here for simple programming questions and solutions and I’ll make sure to provide them to you.

8. Exupery

Exupery Well-Known Member

Hey Velvet,

Just to get it out of the way: please seek reviews of Better Help on Youtube before you put your money on it. It's volatile and unreliable. Plus you are not saving money and the therapists are not guaranteed to be present, qualified and all ears. Many endorses this service then stopped because they themselves suffered from it.

If your university has a psychology department, you'd be better off paying low wages to a poor grad student working under supervision and crafting his art rather than online.

Second, please keep in mind engineering is neither easy nor comes easy. Don't compare yourself to others: they are either not opening up about their own hardships or have been putting in the work and the focus way before. If you feel overwhelmed by a class, I strongly suggest you'd check the basics: I had to deal with a confused class that couldn't understand interpolation of a value from two values because they didn't understand how to define functions and how functions work in the first place.

I encourage you to stick by your passion and give it work: no one becomes a craftsman in their practice by walking a smooth linear homogeneous isotropic path. Oh boy, it's mayhem, comings and goings, and a lot of commitment to foundations and adding up to them.

If you can be more specific about the classes you were overwhelmed by and how you are doing now, we could be of more help

9. Ahmedabdlehady

Ahmedabdlehady Member

hey velvet
      i graduated from engineering school since five year and i have A grade also i was the fifth of my grade
      the first year was a nightmare for me as i thought like you then i found that it was easy if i like it and i know the way
      so here is the best way in my opinion

first you have to know that engineer mean the man who can solve problem in a new way so always try to understand the basics of every thing to build your solution on a good base

second you must know that you will not like all the engineering branches so some of courses you have to study it in intelligent way to just pass the test

third practice is the best way to increase your knowledge in the engineering courses

fourth always try to connect what you study with the actual applications like (internal combustion engine with your car engine )

i hope you feel better
      regards
      ahmed

10. john12

john12 Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to encourage you to drop out - but I had a good friend who started his first year studying pure Mechanical Engineering.
      He always used to laugh at the 'Product Design & Engineering' students and tell them (jokingly) that they weren't studying real engineering.

Then after a while he realised that MechEng was too difficult for him... so he 'downgraded' his course into... you guessed it... PD&Eng! He never heard the end of that.

My point is, if you're really sure that MechEng isn't for you then there are other, similar options that are less academically taxing and will still lead to a very similar career (that guy is an engineer for Airbus now!).