• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Newbie, shear pin design help sought

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by dansk, Feb 28, 2014.

1. dansk

dansk New Member

Wonderful to have a forum that might be able to help me out.
      I have a requirement for a shear pin and need to know what material would be needed to achieve these results. I am into manufacturing so my expertise is not in material strength as far as testing is concerned. Here is what I have to work with.

Known

Material is not locked down, but must meet a double shear strength of 2750 lbs. +/- 200 lbs.

We can size the dia such that we get the correct shear value.
      We want a material that has the yield strength no more than 20% less than ultimate.

We are looking for a pin that is .156 or .125 in diameter

Thank you in advance to anyone that can calculate this for me. Does the material need heat treating, type of material and size is what I'm looking for.

Thank you,
      Dann

3. desai95

desai95 Member

U can use cast iron material i guess and donot perform heat treatment that makes it hard and brittle in your case the pin shouldnt be briitle i think this will do

4. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

2750 double shear = 1375 single shear

.125 dia area = .0123 in², 111789 psi
      .15625 dia area = .0192 in², 71615 psi

At those stress levels a low alloy steel like 4130 or 4140, hardened as appropriate, would probably work fine.

5. antonio.baron

antonio.baron Member

Could you please specify what do you mean with double shear stress? Torsional or pure shear stress or mounted in a base producing two shear stress and the conditions enviromental, sports everything possible. As easy it seems the design of a simple pin its important to clarify your conditions, and what do you want that pin to do?