• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • No More Designers? The uncertain future of design in schools

Discussion in 'Mechanical Design news & events' started by GarethW, Apr 15, 2013.

1. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Worrying article.

Now that is terrifying, but honestly I thought the D&T curriculum had already been reduced to that level.

3. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Duh! Forgot the link: http://www.kinneirdufort.com/blog/no-more-designers

Not sure how Dyson and Ive are such great examples. Dyson just oursourced manufacturing to Malaysia, and Ive works for a US company.

4. RyanN

RyanN New Member

Hi, i'm sure that all blogs or mentions by someone with the potential to reach a good crowd source does their homework( I hope) . However this could possibly be the initiative of someone desperate for more attention. Currently i'm almost nearing graduation for METD (Mechanical Engineering Technology Design) and I have found an abundant amount of open jobs ready to hire grad students with even 2 year degrees. As fascinating as that is to me, I really would like to be picked up pre graduation. Everyone has to pay bills right? but to stay on subject, that information has to be incorrect. I wouldn't read much into it.

5. RyanN

RyanN New Member

Just saw your link... sorry but it came up somehow after I submitted the previous response. I feel a lot of searching outside the normal home based engineering family comes from companies not taking a chance on the development ideals of their current and future employees they have in their grasp.

6. ecommercewp

ecommercewp New Member

There is little mention of anything directly relevant to modern design and engineering practice.