• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • novice design questions

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Camaro51, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Camaro51

Camaro51 New Member

I don't have any fancy CAD software (its all way too expensive) and I'm not at all a professional when it comes to mechanical design-

I'm looking to create a module that pops out of the top of my dashboard on my boat. I have everything figured out except for the system that raises and lowers it. I already have some high-torque miniature motors laying around as well as some plastic gears. I am also getting the on-off-on momentary toggle switch to work this (only spare is an on-off right now)
      The module should't weigh much, and is roughly 6" in length and 4" in width.

I'm drawing a blank as to how I could create such a system to raise and lower this box out of the dashboard.

The motors I have are just cheap "hobby" motors that are normally powered by AA batteries, so this system wouldn't be powered by the powerful boat batteries. (not sure if that matters)

How would you guys recommend setting up a system like this? There's a lot of poor ways to do it that I imagined but nothing secure and efficient.

If there's any other necessary info, let me know

3. Camaro51

Camaro51 New Member

I think I figured it out-

hydraulic miniature scissor lift that can lift 7" total. (I only need about 5" of lift)

http://www.megahobby.com/hydraulicminiscissorliftwoodenkitpathfinders.aspx

Thoughts? load is only 3 or 4 lbs on my module so this should handle it fine. I wish there was a similar device out there that was made out of something stronger than wood and something a little more sturdy than wood. This scissor lift is like a kid's kit...

4. Camaro51

Camaro51 New Member

I take that back. I came up with a new system powered by a push-pull linear actuator. It is placed within the scissor style rods to provide some stability and widen the load area.

5. TomD

TomD Member

I would thing about tilting the unit into and out off the dash. Much more stable than scissor jacks.

6. stewlenox

stewlenox Active Member

Consider using a counterweight. Your hobby motors will appreciate it. Perhaps something akin to a dumbwaiter, operated by a pulley.

7. wonderboysatx

wonderboysatx New Member

Why not have a three pulley system where one is holding a chain and the other on the top being like an idler and the third that can move up and down on a carriage while it pulls the chain down when it goes down the carriage it will raise up or releases the slack when it goes down. That could be a simple way.

8. Jose Dias

Jose Dias New Member

If you're thinking of using the motors, you can use a transformer to connect the motor to the boat electric system.
      Depending on the speed you want the lift to work you can add bigger gear ratios by mixing small gears with big gears (the same way pulley's work). You will also need two end of course sensors to determine when the lift should stop.

9. bdzin1

bdzin1 Member

I would just use springs or gas shocks with a latching mechanism.

10. poesenior

poesenior New Member

If I was looking for a cheap, easy way to make something go up and down as you describe, I would go to a local auto wrecker and buy an electric window motor and assembly. All of the motor and power stuff has been figured out for you and it even comes with an up and down switch.

11. johntargell

johntargell Member

Hi Camaro51, I would consider using one or more springs to lift the box up - but add a damper like you will find on old cassette tape players when the cassette tape door opens slowly - they are basically a silicone oil lined cylinder with a close fitting piston inside, so it slows down the action of the lifting spring. Include a latch to lock the box in the up and down positions, then all you have to do is release the latch to lift, and release again and push the box home to close.
      This would be a reliable and very simple mechanism - you should also mount the box on a couple of vertical shafts under the dashboard to guide it and keep it stable or use 2 leaf springs in a parallel format to do the lifting and guiding. Alternatively you could pivot the box along its forward edge so it swings up rather than lifting up vertically