• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Options and tactics to protect the design of a product

Discussion in 'Protecting your designs or inventions' started by ccdltd, May 4, 2011.

1. ccdltd

ccdltd New Member

Hi,

The company I work for has designed a product over 2 years that uses several electronic components including integrated circuit chips. Apart from patents what other options and tactics are there to protect the product from being copied?

One tactic I thought of is to ask the chip manufacturing company to use custom chip numbers for the chips that we use in the product. This would make it harder and more time consuming to copy the product. Is this tactic common in industry? If so are there any examples of companies doing this?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
      Joseph

3. Camid

Camid Well-Known Member

Hi CCDltd

Welcome to MDF!
      I am no expert on PCBs but I suppose it depends no who is manufacturing it and what 'it' is. Some companies like to assemble the electronics in-house to avoid any IP issues - they just get the box made elsewhere. Others rely on the fact that the PCB (and software) is so complicated that a lot of effort would be required to copy. Others program the on-board chip themselves so it is 'dumb' hardware before this point. Other companies get two different companies to make the box and the PCB so they spread the risk I suppose. Custom chips sound like a good way to go too.

Also occasionally it is a product that actually not many people would be interested in copying or indeed have the knowhow/money to progress it to market.

Maybe there is someone with PCB experience on here that could help?
      Cheers
      Alex

4. ccdltd

ccdltd New Member

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your advice. I think custom chip numbers is a good idea but I need to find some case histories of other companies who are using this tactic. Hopefully someone with experience in this area can provide some information.

Regards
      Joseph

5. Camid

Camid Well-Known Member

Any luck? Let us know if you want some contacts for PCB designers (if you are in the UK). I am sure they could help.

6. milonkyle

milonkyle Guest

These option and tactics are looks like professional and also valuable to protect the design of a product, I just make a follow for these tips for protecting my products designs.