• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Outdoor octoganal lamp with hinge to change bulbs

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by RisingFun, Nov 30, 2014.

1. RisingFun

RisingFun New Member

Hello everyone. I have this idea for a lamp but I can't figure out something. I want this lamp to slide out a little and then swing out. So that the main structure with the bulbs stay fixed to the wall but the octagon slides out and swings. On the cross section, the black part is what I need to stay stationary. Any suggestions would be fantastic and greatly appreciated. Thanks!!![​IMG]

3. Lochnagar

Lochnagar Well-Known Member

Hi RisingFun,

From the pictures you have posted it is not very clear what you mean by your question "I want this lamp to slide out a little and then swing out"?? Can you explain with some more pictures - showing what you want to try and achieve?

In the bottom right picture - it is quite confusing what the "feature" is that is below the word Hinge - as it does not appear in the top right picture?

If you are trying to gain access to the bulb - and the octagon shaped feature is meant to be the light shade or light cover - why don't you merely split the octagon at the back and put a vertical piano hinge there - and open it up at the front - a bit like in the picture below?

http://www.touchofclass.com/clamshell-accent-lamp/p/Y800-001/

Hope this helps.

4. prastaples@yahoo.co.uk

prastaples@yahoo.co.uk New Member

Mount the hex casing on a rail. (like a draw rail, but simplified as it is not load bearing)
      Latch the swing out mechanism as if it were just a door.

Simples

5. thanhtran

thanhtran New Member

clarity

Can you do a isometric view or sketch?