• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Overcoming friction to slide smoothly

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by AriLiquids, Nov 21, 2013.

1. AriLiquids

AriLiquids Member

Hi, I am new here and like this forum A LOT.

Here's my problem:

I want to slide a plate up and down, but keep it from sliding to the side.

I want to hold it up with springs against a moving barrier above it. The barrier is moving to the left applying a force of 800 grams moving the plate to the left. Do not want the plate to move to the left at all!

I want to hold the plate against the moving barrier with a force of 200 grams. When I hold the plate manually against the barrier at that pressure, that is when I get the 800 grams pushing to the left.

My question:

Can I just have the plate ride up and down on pins that keep it from sliding sideways? Or will they make so much friction and instability that it will not be reliable? Please do not tell me to install wheels or something expensive like that, this is a low-cost product.

3. Jerseybiz

Jerseybiz New Member

Can u use a "tongue-in-groove" setup to stop side to side movement?

4. Lochnagar

Lochnagar Well-Known Member

If you have a look at the Igus website below - you will see various types of linear bearing - which will allow movement up or down - but resist sideways movement.
      They are actually not very expensive - but if they are too expensive for you - then maybe it gives you the "idea" of what you need to do.
      http://www.igus.co.uk/wpck/1994/drylin_w

5. Paul.R

Paul.R Member

A picture or a quick sketch of what you're trying to do would clarify what you're trying to accomplish.

6. AriLiquids

AriLiquids Member

Well, everybody's right. I had gone ahead and made a sample out of local parts and it worked really pretty good, but was a tad wiggly. So I followed the 'linear bearing' lead and found a treasure house of very low cost and just-the-right match linear bearing products for sale. Great tolerances, very much not wiggly, and under 10 cents a piece.

This site is great. Thank you everyone.