• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • PDM 2010 (UK) is here!

Discussion in 'Mechanical Design news & events' started by Camid, May 11, 2010.

1. Camid

Camid Well-Known Member

Anyone going to PDM 2010 at the Telford International Centre next week? Made some really good contacts last year.

3. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

I have been toying with the idea. I have registered. Are you exhibiting?

Here's a link for anyone who doesn't know what this is:
      Plastic Design & Moulding 2010

4. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

I think i'm going on the 20th - just noticed it sitting in the corner of our calendar, so someone in the company was already going anyway, so guess I'll hitch a lift!

5. Camid

Camid Well-Known Member

No, not exhibiting. Just catching up with a couple of suppliers for a project. I may be going on the 19th or 20th - not sure yet. I will aim to get there for 10:30am. What day are you going Gareth? Would be good to meet up with Pete. Email me and I will send you my mobile number.

6. GarethW

I'll pencil in the 20th if that's when you guys are going. It would be good to have an "MDF meet-up"! At the moment I can't guarantee I'll be there as I've got a lot on right now including a trip to China that's coming up. Hopefully I'll have a clearer idea in the next few days...

7. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

China isn't going to go anywhere - it’s a big place, you can't lose it! But PDM2010 will only happen once (3 times) a year! Priorities man!

I use too many !'s!

8. GarethW

I'll be there on Thursday! So will camid. Are you still going Pete?

9. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Yup, I'll be there early, i'll PM you my mobile number...

10. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Good lord that was a long day - 340 mile round trip from London to Telford!

Good to see Camid and Gareth even if it was just a quick coffee before the return trek to the sunny ole capital!

I got a few important nuggets from the day all in all - getting up close and personal to different injection moulders was interesting to see how the mould tools come apart.

I got some interesting (if a little concerning) information on Anti-microbial additives for plastics. It seems that after the component is moulded, the anti-microbial/bacterial properties will only last for around a year. Apparently the additive migrates to the surface of the part where it acts the way it should until it's wiped off by cleaning or wear and tear. Its a constant 'flow' until there is none left or it becomes ineffective. Like i said - a bit disappointing as I was hoping to use it in a product with a life span of about 25 years! Worth thinking about that in relation to anti-microbial chopping boards etc which are on the market!

Next years event is at the Excel centre in East London - just across the river from my flat!

11. GarethW

Pete - good to see you today! Good luck with the anti-microbial material. Thanks to camid for the lift up too. It was a good day and I made some useful contacts. Interestingly, one exhibitor had a couple of products I've worked on in the past on display!