• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Permobil M300 power chair modification

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by gstq54, Jul 26, 2020.

1. gstq54

gstq54 New Member

Hope that someone can offer design and hardware solutions.

Ten years ago I had a stroke and lost the use of my left side. I had been a linux admin and software developer for 15 years. Always an avid DIY enthusiast I still have projects in mind. I spend most of my time in a Permobil M300 power chair and would like to mount a platform behind my seat that swings around a pivot and ends up just to the right of my chairs controller. That means rotating the platform through 270 degrees. Perhaps a couple of linear actuators could be used to achieve this?

Thanks, Richard Wilkinson

3. dsgn2mfg

dsgn2mfg Member

Richard,
      I would be glad to design and help you with this for free. I recently did a TV mount that started with a stock component that swings through to 300° and then slides our 12". It cost me under $100 but it is manual. Depending on what precision, stoke and force you need an inexpensive 12vdc linear actuators go from $40 to $400, but most likely can be done under $60. Let me know.

4. Stephen Blizzard

Stephen Blizzard New Member

Hi Richard,

I don't have a lot of time to spare at the moment. I wish I did because it sounds like a rewarding project. Looks like Michael might be able to help you out. I would just like to offer a suggestion for using rotary acuators. They might save you some space in the design if rotary motion is what's desired.
      Maybe something along these lines: https://www.johnsonelectric.com/en/product-technology/motion/stepper-motors/rotary-stepper-motors
      I'm sure there are many other suppliers. This is just to give you an idea.

Stephen.

5. Stevo

Stevo New Member

I agree with Stephen. Although Michael's proposal may potentially be less costly, it almost certainly will involve more parts, which could involve guarding or putting into an enclosure. The SEMI-ROTARY actuator is a self-contained piece of kit (essentially most designs comprise opposing linear actuators operating on a spline shaft, within the same housing/body). Transferring the torque from a small diameter shaft would be relatively easy.

6. bw2011

bw2011 Forum Manager

Hello All, I got this suggestion via email from another member:

Dear Richard, the pivoting platform should be mounted to a vertical shaft on one corner. The shaft would be driven by a worm drive with a forward and reverse electric motor giving it a more gentle pivoting speed. Hope this will help Ian Mackay.

7. gstq54

gstq54 New Member

Thanks for all your suggestions, I thought perhaps a rotary actuator would work best, but not sure he to select the right device. Being on a fixed budget, the cost is always a concern. After all I am a cheap Brit who has lived in the States for the past 38 years!!
      I like to fiddle with my Raspberry pi and figure I could use that to control the actuator?
      Since my stroke, my wife has become quite the DIY gal, so I think between us, we can make this work.
      Thanks again for the input and I look forward to more suggestions.
      Cheers, Richard

8. gstq54

gstq54 New Member

9. gstq54

gstq54 New Member

Michael, thanks so much for your offer to help with the design. I would be very interested to see what you have in mind. We live in Arizona, not that that matters and you can reach me at [email protected]. As the budget is limited I would like to get this done for about $200
      Cheers Richard