• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • pin screen / actuator matrix (HELP)

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by wahaha686, Aug 15, 2011.

1. wahaha686

wahaha686 New Member

Pin Screen
      [​IMG]
      Actuator Matrix
      [​IMG]

I like to build a pin screen made of linear actuators (like the actuator matrix). The Pin Screen will have ~600 pins. I will connect each pin to a servo (I need precision).

The problem using linear actuators is the cost. Any suggestions on alternative designs?

I'm currently considering a spring and pulley design.
      [​IMG]

3. wahaha686

wahaha686 New Member

4. telecomguy

telecomguy Member

Have you considered pneumatic cylinders. It might help to know a little more about the requirements. Magnitude of action, forces, density of pin field, response time, environment it will reside in, etc.
      <tg>

5. wahaha686

wahaha686 New Member

I have considered pneumatic parts. Programming the controller and maintenance is an issue.

goal: to illustrate objects in 3D (volumetric display)

requirements:
      accurate to 1mm, 50mm stroke, 1lb of linear force, any speed, <2 second response time, 1 pin every inch (26.5mm), will be operating in room temperature (in the office),

6. srdfmc

srdfmc Well-Known Member

Just reviewed this thread. Interesting project. I am sure by the time you'd got a solution. But I guess this can be done with a matrix of connector piloted by a chip based circuit and a magnetic field: All the pins are repulsed by the field unless those with no current ;)

But it does not resolve the problem of friction with only a low voltage circuit at your disposal.

Still it is an interesting project.

Please, give us some feedback !