• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Planetary gears for hybrid cars

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by borges, Jun 17, 2011.

1. borges

borges New Member

Hi,

I've always been fascinated by gearboxes. A while ago I came up with an idea for a planetary gear box that uses only breaks (to chassis) and no clutches (between moving parts). With A+B gear sets it gives A*B different transmission ratios.

I believe the gear box may do a good job for combustion/electric hybrid cars. It also has ways to attach energy sources like a Sterling motor or an energy source/sink like a flywheel. Given the layout of the gearbox, the flywheel will need less range in its continuously variable transmission.

The whole thing is described at http://www.qnktc.com/gear/g.pdf

I'm putting it into the public domain for anyone to see and use. I have contacted car makers who either don't respond or who demand that I have speant half a year's salaries on patents before they can do anything.

I hope you like the consept!

Cheers,
      Borge

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

A brake on the ring gear of a planetary gearset for clutch action (letting the ring gear freewheel) is not a new idea... had a R/C model car that worked that way back in the seventies, engine driving the sun gear, power taken off the planet gear spider.