• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Planetary gears for hybrid cars

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by borges, Jun 17, 2011.

1. borges

borges New Member

Jun 2010
      I've always been fascinated by gearboxes. A while ago I came up with an idea for a planetary gear box that uses only breaks (to chassis) and no clutches (between moving parts). With A+B gear sets it gives A*B different transmission ratios.

I believe the gear box may do a good job for combustion/electric hybrid cars. It also has ways to attach energy sources like a Sterling motor or an energy source/sink like a flywheel. Given the layout of the gearbox, the flywheel will need less range in its continuously variable transmission.

The whole thing is described at http://www.qnktc.com/gear/g.pdf

I'm putting it into the public domain for anyone to see and use. I have contacted car makers who either don't respond or who demand that I have speant half a year's salaries on patents before they can do anything.

I hope you like the consept!

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Sep 2010
      A brake on the ring gear of a planetary gearset for clutch action (letting the ring gear freewheel) is not a new idea... had a R/C model car that worked that way back in the seventies, engine driving the sun gear, power taken off the planet gear spider.