• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Please help me for Design of Flywheel

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by ursvijayv, Sep 6, 2012.

1. ursvijayv

ursvijayv New Member

I am designing a flywheel for my own system. I don't know what are the input I should consider to design my flywheel and need to find what is mass & speed of flywheel should I use for my system to avoid fluctuation and uniform motion.

I have attached the system picture as link please click picture and I have mention the flywheel.( Picture)

my system is to produce the electricity from the gravitational force.if you look at the picture u will understand the concept. The pendulum will drop from the 60 deg angle,the pendulum will oscillate to and fro, using some mechanism converting the oscillating motion to unidirectional motion and next I need to use flywheel to maintain the uniform rotation and avoid fluctuation. I know the angular velocity of the pendulum from the calculation for my system which is max at angle 0 deg and I use this angular velocity to find what speed I should consider for my system. which I got is 25 rpm. I don't know how to calculate the energy and How to interpret with any real world application.

I would appreciate if any one give your valuable idea or thought to move on my work further.

3. mhjones12

mhjones12 Well-Known Member

What do you mean you're trying to produce electricity from gravity? Are you expecting this to be a viable source of energy, or is this some sort of experiment or personal project for fun? The laws of thermodynamics demonstrate that the energy required to lift the mass and start the osculations will be greater than the energy produced from the generator.

As far as your specific question about the flywheel, I think you need to start by specifying a power output. Energy is mgh (mass of pendulum times gravity times height), and the average power would the energy divided by the time required to fall. Adding a flywheel would increase the time required to fall and thus decrease power. Since it would add nothing to the mass of the pendulum, the overall energy would be the same. If instead you added mass to the pendulum, you could achieve the same effect as a flywheel (increasing the moment of inertia), while simultaneously increasing your energy output for each fall, which will counteract the increase in fall time.

4. ursvijayv

ursvijayv New Member

Hi Matthew,

This is not fun, its my academic project. I actually got this Idea from the source of already some one doing in big capacity and I am planning to do for small home with modified mechanism.( Here is the link to show that is viable http://gravityassistedpower.com/ there you can find video) I hope you have watched my model in my previous thread ( Please click the link Picture ) This is my model and I am using the flywheel here to avoid fluctuation of speed and smooth the operation. The oscillation of pendulum is done by manual or using wheel with motor arrangement to hit the handle of pendulum and maintain the same angle by periodic Impulse. The oscillation of pendulum is converted to unidirectional motion using sprag clutch mechanism and fly wheel to smooth the operation and I am using the gear to increase the speed and then connecting the output of gear to generator of 400 rpm to produce 10 KW.

I have read the flywheel design for engine & punching machine and I know that they gave the power of Engine in power stroke, Punching time, area for punch ,rpm and etc we can calculate the Diameter of flywheel and size. I can calculate the rpm from the pendulum angular velocity and I can assume that is the rpm for the flywheel design. I am fumbling to finding what energy or power I have to consider in my system as flywheel is just placed on the shaft.

I would be thankful and appreciate if you guide me to design of flywheel for my system.