• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Please help me with improvements to my mechanical system

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by lapachacha, May 25, 2011.

1. lapachacha

lapachacha Member

suppose i have two rods hanging from the ceiling of a room... i need to focus two laser beams onto the ends of these hanging rods...for this i have a cam and follower system..with a roller rotating follower in contact with a radial cam.the angular displacement of these two rods is 120 degrees.. so i require that the follower(on which a laser pen,vertical) rises an angular displacement of 120 degrees..but for what rotation of cam?..

i will couple the camshaft to a stepper motor..

how should i design the cam in solidworks 2010?.... and what parameters on the cad model are needed for the manufacturer to fabricate this for me?....the cam...

3. maniacal_engineer

maniacal_engineer Well-Known Member

Re: plz help me with improvements

It doesn't matter, as long as the control system knows what it is. It will be easier if there is a linear relationship between what you know as input and what you want as output. Otherwise you will need to put corrections for kinematic non-linearities in your control, which can lead to computational difficulties

4. lapachacha

lapachacha Member

thanks maniac engineer...but ummm....do u any software which helps performing kinematic analysis...also...plz tell me about the manufacturing...what sort of drawing shud i give to the manufacturer?

5. maniacal_engineer

maniacal_engineer Well-Known Member

Honestly, your question is so broad and the information so vague that i have no idea where to even start. Start with what you know, and model that in your cad system if you have one. then create a part/ parts that will do what you want in the space available, subject to strength, deflection, manufacturability and assemblability constraints.
      That is what ALL design essentially is.

Solidworks will let you partially constrain parts so that tho quaney can be moved around. It gives you no quantitative data, but it lets you see what is happening. you can also mock it up with cardboard cutouts if it can be reduced to 2D.

6. rushinpatel

rushinpatel Active Member

u just use pro-engineering software where u do all thing in pro-engineering software and this software having a also capability to do analysis and it give also simulation just try it

7. rushinpatel

rushinpatel Active Member

u required following detail are as under for the production of cam and follower

1.follower displacement distance
      2.displacement angle(according to distance travell by the follower)
      for example like,
      when cam rotate then theta 1=30 where follower are at 10 mm displace or move from its position
      that way u put all value of
      when theta 1=?, that time d1=?
      theta 2=?. that time d2=?
      theta 3=?. hat time d3=?

thats way u put displacement angle value and find perfect displacement curve from your data and regarding to this data
      u suggest the perfect design to your manufacturer
      but from above data u draw displacement curve and anlys it then after u take desicion
      and u adjust value of theta and displacement distance regarding to your requirment and then after u draw displacement curve and further analysis it ,
      this way trail and eror method u got perfect result which u requireed
      u also take a refrance of book MACHINE DESIGN By...R.S.khurmi

8. abnv

abnv New Member

look for student version for SIMULIA if you wish to see the simulation.
      RS khurmi is nice refrence.

9. lapachacha

lapachacha Member

what does SIMULIA do and how can it help me?