• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Pointless gadgets on cars

Discussion in 'The Leisure Lounge' started by GarethW, Aug 11, 2010.

1. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Article on Yahoo - worth a read. Apparently you can buy an "Openometer" as an optional extra on the new mini - it tells you how long you've had the roof down. :?

Link: http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/11082010/36/in ... -wi-0.html

3. PWASS

PWASS Well-Known Member

I've got a new Renault with a 'Card Key', it's great, I keep the card in my pocket, I don't have to take it out.

The car unlocks when I touch any door handle, I get in, press the start button and off we go. To stop, just press the button again and the engine stops, get out of the car shut the door and walk away, the car automatically locks.

All without getting the card out of my pocket!

4. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

You pull up in your new Renault to a road-side cafe/dinner/service station. You like your car - it's new and shiny and you like to look at it, so you park as close to the building as you can so you can sit inside, sip your coffee and stare lovingly at it. Some chavy Herbert then comes up and as you’re close to your car but on the wrong side of a sheet of glass, jumps in your unlocked car, presses the start button and drives off!

Possible? :)

Also, I think i'd have issues wondering if it was really locked. You wouldn't be able to check it because every time you went to check, you'd get too close and it'd unlock itself! :)

Very cool gadget though! :lol:

5. GarethW

I know that card-keys and pushbutton ignitions are becoming common these days, but the thought of owning a car and not having a conventional key doesn't quite sit right with me! :shock: I must be old fashioned :? What are you supposed to jangle?

6. PWASS

PWASS Well-Known Member

I actually have to touch the door handle for it to unlock and it wont start unless the card is inside the car.

I know when it locks itself because it beeps and the lights flash as normal and just as a visual check the mirrors fold in.

7. GarethW

So you have to be really close for it to be opened then?

8. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Ahhh ok.... spoil my fun why don't you - it's annoying when designers actually think about the stuff they're designing! :)

9. swertel

swertel Active Member

Bought my wife a Hyundai Veracruz. It has a keyless system also. Not a card, still shaped like a key, but you can't stick it in your ear.

It uses proximity RFID. You have to touch the button on the side of the door handle to unlock the car. And you have to be pretty close for it to work. The automatic opening rear hatchback is locked when the car is locked. Same thing, single push of a button and it opens automatically and won't unlock the other doors. Pushing a button to close it, and it automatically locks again (unless the other doors are not locked). I have to be standing right next to the rear door for it to open.

The ignition is still a turn-style ignition, I just don't have to put a key into it.

I typically don't keep the keyless FOB in my pocket because it is bulky just like other remote entry FOBs. My wife keeps hers in her purse, obviously. When I drive, she keeps her purse on the drivers side floor near the center column and all is well, but she has to unlock the car from the passenger side. Even if she is standing on the passenger side, I can't unlock the car from the drivers side. It's not within range of the FOB. And, I let my wife and kids out of the car before pulling into the garage. She takes her purse with her. By the time it is past 5 feet (1.5 meters) away from the driver's area, the car starts screaming at me that it needs the key or will shut down. She usually drops her purse on the hood up by the windshield, close to the centerline of the car. If she sets her purse on the passenger edge of the hood, the car doesn't read the RFID.

10. PWASS

PWASS Well-Known Member

The front door handles also have small buttons on them.

If you're unsure about the car automatically locking itself, you can lock it manually by pressing one of the buttons.

11. Zaphod

Zaphod Member

I did read recently about a motorcycle (cant remember which one) which used a similar keyless ignition. The rider filled it up with petrol and accidentaly left the "key" at the pump. He was able to start the bike and drive off OK but was unable to start the bike again after he stopped!