• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • POLL: Google and driverless cars. Would you get in one?

Discussion in 'The Leisure Lounge' started by GarethW, Jun 6, 2011.

?

Would you get in a driverless car?

1. Yes - definitely

25.0%
    2. Possibly

16.7%
    3. No way!

58.3%
    1. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

[​IMG]

Article in Whatcar? LINK
      Basically Google have the tech, and are pushing for them to be legalised on public roads so they can be tested properly.

[​IMG]

3. bw2011

bw2011 Forum Manager

I bet there will be LOTS of angry taxi drivers when these babies are introduced! We might even see some man vs machine violence :x

:D

4. JasonJoss

JasonJoss Member

I prefer driving my car, but if I dont have one, I'd like to try it out. However, stay in a car with a machine alone is kind of scary movie :D

5. bw2011

bw2011 Forum Manager

Google gets Nevada driving licence for self-drive car

Driverless cars will soon be a reality on the roads of Nevada after the state approved America's first self-driven vehicle licence. The first to hit the highway will be a Toyota Prius modified by search firm Google, which is leading the way in driverless car technology. Its first drive included a spin down Las Vegas's famous strip. Other car companies are also seeking self-driven car licences in Nevada.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17989553

6. MSHOfficial

MSHOfficial Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

There are 6 votes for no way! I wonder if I do this poll today will the results change at all? I think so. I myself wouldn’t want a self driving car 8 years ago but right now it’s a norm I guess. Also imagine all the time I would save when I don’t have to sit and drive the car myself. I would just sit back, relax and enjoy my ride with google. Or work on my ever lasting projects. Even if I work 40 mins to my home and 40 mins to work that’s an hour and 20 minutes of work done. I think that would be great.

We could even have short great client meetings or important conference calls when we are on on our way to somewhere.

PS I hate driving and dont have a drivers license.

7. john12

john12 Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

I'd definitely get one! I'd love to just sit back and be driven somewhere. I wonder how long until they're widespread in public use.

We've already seen some violence from traditional taxi drivers against Uber drivers here in Asia. I bet they'd hate these (if they could deal with Asian roads and traffic).

PS - Love the Johnny Cab pic!

8. s.weinberg

s.weinberg Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

I actually like driving, but I'd definitely get in one. Done right, computers are way better than people at stuff like this, and I trust Google not to release it until it's ready

9. john12

Yeah, if they release it before it's ready and something like an accident happens then it will torpedo the whole program, so I'm sure they'll make sure it's as good as possible.

Still, accidents are pretty much inevitable. It raises some interesting ethical questions though. For example - what if a kid runs out in front of the car - does the car decide to hit the kid, or decide to swerve the car and kill the occupants?

10. s.weinberg

s.weinberg Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

I consider these kinds of ethical questions red herrings. The same question exists for a human driver in these edge cases. Just the human doesn't have time to think it through. Why does that make it more of a problem for a computer that can?

And I trust them because Google is good at these kinds of things, and they've been taking their sweet time to make sure it is 100% ready when they roll it out. Decades. If it were Tesla, I'd have a lot less faith. They seem to have a much higher tolerance for risk.

11. john12

True, but I think that the issues is that it has to be pre-programmed with a set of rules, rather than actually just 'done' like a human driver would do.

It's actually related to a pretty old thought experiment - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolley_problem

" You see a runaway trolley moving toward five tied-up (or otherwise incapacitated) people lying on the tracks. You are standing next to a lever that controls a switch. If you pull the lever, the trolley will be redirected onto a side track, and the five people on the main track will be saved. However, there is a single person lying on the side track. You have two options:

Do nothing and allow the trolley to kill the five people on the main track.
      Pull the lever, diverting the trolley onto the side track where it will kill one person.

Which is the more ethical option?"