• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • POLL: Metric or imperial?

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by GarethW, Feb 9, 2010.

?

Metric or imperial? Which system should rule the world?

1. Metric is magnificent

23.3%
    2. Imperial is incredible

76.7%
    1. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

I agree - it would make much more sense. Anyone know why they did this?

3. vic.blackall

vic.blackall Well-Known Member

At college, in the early 60's we were taught in the imperial system but all the companies I have worked in have used the metric system. I still work in both especially when it comes to fits etc: for example 0.01mm, I think of about 4 tenths of a thou.

4. Archimedes

Archimedes Active Member

If I could redesign time I would make a minute 100 seconds and an hour 100 minutes.

(That way I could get to the pub and back in my lunch ‘hour’)

5. Auto Engineer

Auto Engineer Active Member

If I had control over time there would only be two days in a week:D Friday when I get paid:D and Sunday when I don't work:D

As for Units of measure I don't really know what all the fuss is about:D if you don't know how to convert from one unit to another, simple;) just Google Online Conversions:D and let the software do it for you:D

Simple;)

6. Mark David

Mark David Member

Either unit system is fine for rough dimensional design...once it's time to calculate loads SI units are superior in my opinion. After we get this debate settled, can we tackle 1st angle vs 3rd angle projections? My vendors are split between the US and Europe; if not for the solid model, we be tripped up by projection angle all the time.

~Mark

7. mhjones12

mhjones12 Well-Known Member

I vote metric. The imperial system is more intuitive for me, since I grew up in the US, but for doing any calculations metric is the only way to go.