• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • POLL: Which is better, 'A good design' or 'A safe design'?

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by GarethW, Mar 18, 2011.

?

Which one is better, 'A good design' or 'A safe design'?

1. A good design

0 vote(s)
      0.0%
    2. A safe design

33.3%
    3. An equal good-to-safe ratio

22.2%
    4. Mostly safe, but not so good

44.4%
    5. Mostly good, but not so safe

0 vote(s)
      0.0%
    6. Prefer bad and unsafe anyway

0 vote(s)
      0.0%
    1. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

This is a question that's prompting serious debate over at the LinkedIn group. What do people think here?

The question is simply "Which one is better, 'A good design' or 'A safe design'?". Make of that what you will.
      Link to disussion over at LinkedIn

Please add your thoughts and observations below, and login to vote in the poll. I'm in the "An equal good-to-safe ratio" camp, myself

3. shipto

shipto Member

Re: POLL: Which is better, 'A good design' or 'A safe design

can a design really be called good if it is not safe?

4. xmechanic

xmechanic Active Member

I'm going to go with good design over safe design, in tools anyway. Lets take a chainsaw for example, there is no way to make it "safe", but making it better may actually improve safety. I have used many sorts of power tools in my life, got bit a few times, had a few near misses. One safety feature that stands out that actually is potentially dangerous are the safety guards on some circular type saws. Particularly table saws.

5. stewlenox

stewlenox Active Member

With the exception of children s products I've got to agree with xmechanic on this. After all, Safe is relative, but one can measure effectiveness, and even beauty (by sales) easily when it comes to items like tools. I also agree that most designs that are truly good are also safer than their poorly designed counterparts. I work extensively in the toy industry, where safety is hyper-important. Many VERY fun products never make it to market for safety reasons....But the companies I work for have built their reputations on safety. It's a tough trade-off sometimes.

6. Junel

Junel Member

I'm on with Good Design in terms of quality and performance. As far as I know if you have a what we call a good design then it involves safety and quality.

7. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

A little bit of danger makes life more exciting.... right?*

*This view is that of the Pete the 'user', and not that of Pete the Design engineer who works very hard and actually makes very good AND safe designs and would be a credit to any organisation please and thank you

8. Eon_wu-chinese

Eon_wu-chinese Member

Yes,Dwayne,I agree with you , can a design really be called good if it is not safe?NO

9. Bobamuntung

Bobamuntung New Member

I think the context is far too broad for a solid discussion.

Toys must be absolutely safe; power tools not by design but use are made safe.

A chainsaw requires some sort of non-inuitive actions to use safely. Toys are used instinctively, playfully, without fear or danger. To discuss safety in relation to good design spanning such a wide range seems a touch intangible.

Perhaps ultimately, a design is bad when the training involved to use the solution safely is so cumbersome or unrealistic that it stops being a cost effective solution. Reflexively then, I feel a good design is something that fills all other specified criteria while being as idiot proof/uncomplicated as possible so as to minimise any training costs.

10. parentsmygod

parentsmygod New Member

a good design is almost always a safe design but a safe design is not necessarily a good design

11. hardsteal

hardsteal Member

I would rather say that it depends on the type of product you are designing.

SO if design has very less contact with human while in operation, Then compromising with safety will be fair enough.

For example for a elevator SAFETY must be of prime importance than the it's good functionality, or it'll do your funeral free of cost! :p