• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Porous/foam metal -

Discussion in 'Metal casting & moulding' started by WCh, Feb 8, 2010.

1. WCh

WCh New Member

Does anyone know methods to produce porous or foam metal - titanium alloy? if yes can we control pore size and porosity easily?

3. mvalenti

mvalenti Well-Known Member

4. maniacal_engineer

maniacal_engineer Well-Known Member

ERG I think does just Aluminum. I believe that their process is that they foam and reticulate the metal itself.

These guys
      http://www.recemat.com/en/materials.html
      start with polymer reticulated foam and coat it with powder and sinter it. This may give them greater flexibility with regard to alloys. I have a couple of sample pieces that I was looking at for a regenerator for a stirling engine. it is really cool stuff, pretty low flow resistance and can take extremely high temperatures.

Titanium may be a little problematic because it is soooooo reactive. But there are other processes that use powder titanium metal (LENS etc) so you may be able to get a titanium metal foam.

5. maniacal_engineer

maniacal_engineer Well-Known Member