• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • pressure vessel

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by basi42002, Feb 9, 2010.

1. basi42002

basi42002 New Member

pressure vessel

I have a large steel pressure vessel at 100 PSIG with gases inside. Gas temeprature might be 600 degrees F.

I need to pass a long rotating ceramic rod, perhaps 1/2 inch diameter, through the side wall of the vessel. I am looking for a rotating bearing that can hold the rod at the vessel wall, allow it to rotate, but be gas-tight. Rotation rate will be around 10 RPM.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

Bassey Etu

3. basi42002

basi42002 New Member

The following file is an actual and complete design calculations for a pressure vessel designed and constructed in accordance with ASME BPVC, Section VIII, Division 1, and the vessel stamped ASME U-stamp.
      The file is in PDF format (Pages 127 & 1.041 MB)
      Link: http://www.4shared.com/file/18417349...n_Calcula.html
      thanks
      Bassey Etu

4. mvalenti

mvalenti Well-Known Member

my earlier post didnt seem to work... I have some experience with pressure vessels but in the 10ksi and up range.... I think your biggest problem may be the ceramic material itself making a seal.. Can you have a glass to metal seal done on the rod and then seal on that? Look for a rotary feed thru. Without knowing what the design criteria is this is all I can come up with.

5. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Oops that might've been my fault :oops: I had to manually move these posts to the correct part of the foum and yours might have got sucked into a black hole!

6. mvalenti

mvalenti Well-Known Member

I think its on my end. Mcafee something or other... No worries...

7. garnettools

garnettools Member

Do let us know the length of the cylinder.
      Or better if you can explain the same with the help of diagram and tolerances.