• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Printer Feedback

Discussion in 'Industrial design' started by pad316, Mar 8, 2014.

?

Which is your favorite printer concept design?

1. Concept A

0 vote(s)
      0.0%
    2. Concept B

0 vote(s)
      0.0%
    3. Concept C

0 vote(s)
      0.0%
    4. Concept D

100.0%
    1. pad316

pad316 New Member

Hi everyone. I am designing a printer for a university project and some feedback on my initial concepts would be really helpful. (The coloured stripes on the concepts are ink reservoirs)

If you have a couple of minutes to spare could you review the 4 concepts and answer the following:
      Which concept is your favourite and why?
      Which concept is your least favourite and why?

Many thanks!

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

3. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Hi pad316. Thanks for posting - nice work. How did you render them?

My prefered concept is "D" because it seems to have the smallest footprint. It also looks practical - you can keep a supply of paper in the hopper ready to print. Despite taking up more space I also quite like the appearance of "A" but can I ask why is it raised up on legs? My least favorite would be "B" because it's not too easy on the eye. Perhaps something visually simpler would work better, especially now everyone's got used to the visual simplicity of Apple stuff.

I've added a poll to this thread so members can vote for their favorite concept. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    4. pad316

pad316 New Member

Hi Gareth thanks for the feedback and putting a poll on the post, great idea.

I cheated a bit to produce the render tbh, I made basic models in creo and then using screen shots finished them in photoshop. In photoshop I just outlined the key features and coloured the models using an overlay layer.

5. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

Concept D, the feed and return are both user facing, deskspace is minimized and auto feed is possible.
      Concept B is an enormous waste of space and the returned sheet is not easily to hand.

6. LinkedIn Gopher

LinkedIn Gopher Little furry chap

Out of all, 'Concept C' seems to be my favourite. Because comparing with others it is compact, flap type passage each for plain paper in and print out sides and can be closed when not in use, aesthetically appealing and most importantly it will be less expensive to develop. (Buttons are not shown though assumed to have easily accessible from plain paper in side.)

On the other hand 'Concept B' is my least favorite. Because it is bulky, less user friendly (operator has to feed plain paper at one side and collect print out from other), also development cost will be higher.

Source

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
    7. dhenizh

dhenizh New Member

I like Concept D, looks compact, simple and efficient. Paper can easily slide through when printing, and can easily take out in case of paper jams.
      My least favorite is Concept B, it doesn't look like a printer at all.

8. Bruce Hubbard

Bruce Hubbard New Member

I like the styling of A the best, but it uses up too much desk space with what looks like empty housing. I like the colored stripes - but some of them seem like they will have a hard time feeding a moving print head. Are the stripes simply ink covers? Also, the long stripes, assuming they are reservoirs, won't fit in convenient store packaging. Are they refilled from bottles? Most companies are "chipping" their ink containers these days to discourage bulk reloading. A could handle the most diverse media, from paper to card stock to DVDs.

B looks unbalanced and you have to reach around either to feed paper or retrieve it, depending on how it sits on your desk. I'm not wild about the dark grey color.

C is the most compact design and uses up the least table top surface. Its clean simplicity looks like it could go with a certain generation of Apple equipment. But it does not have an obvious in and out side and lacks the paper sheet support which is evident in most of the other designs (i.e. it is likely to flop over on either input or output). How are the ink cartridges replaced? It might take me a while to warm up to it - is its featureless symmetry intentional?

Most respondents seem to favor design D. In many ways, it may be the best compromise. But it feels unstable to me, as if it might topple over backwards. It has a small footprint, but the paper requires a clear (desk) area in which to emerge, so its actual footprint may not be all that small. The feed direction seems seems self evident and it also looks like it will be straightforward to replace ink cartridges. Back to A and B, they both "swallow" the entire sheet of paper, making clearing a paper jam problematical. The straight through printers could handle heavier weight papers, while C seems like a light weight in many senses. B also looks like it would have trouble feeding undersized paper.

Who is your intended user? Business, Home/Office, Graphic Designer? What is each demographic looking for in the way of appearance; footprint, manual/automatic controls; ease of use; one-offprints; volume printing; type, weight and size of paper; production quality, cost, etc. You are unlikely to make everyone happy with a single general purpose design, stylish or not.

9. eckcop

eckcop Member

Concept A has the looks, but I'd go with concept D, as it seems to be more practical (more natural movement of the paper, smaller footprint, etc.)

10. adamru

adamru Member

It is definitely D, though C may have some points for it too.
      A is bulky, and the input and output at the same side make it difficult to design. Also the cartridges may cause problems by cutting the rigidity of the instrument.
      B is just too far from anything one can expect from a practical design which looks like a printer.
      C has its charm, being very compact, but having the leg at the same side as the cartridges is a problem. change either the side of the leg or the cartridges and you will have a good starting point. If you manage to work it out you will have the advantage of a printer that looks different, which adds value.
      D has neat appearance, and it looks like printers we know, which is both good and bad. It is good because you know it is doable, but it is bad because you become just one more of the herd. By the way, though the cartridge doors look very nice in the front they are not very practical there, as trying to replace them you are very likely to push the whole printer on the table. having them on top will prevent this effect.