• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Pro/E renamed to "Creo Elements/Pro"

Discussion in 'Creo or Pro/Engineer' started by GarethW, May 19, 2011.

1. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

I only just dicovered that PTC have changed the name of Pro/Engineer to "Creo Elements/Pro"!!!! :shock:

I liked the name Pro/E and I like the software (althought I haven't used it for a few years). The name Pro/Engineer was much more relevant to the software. What does "Creo Elements/Pro" communicate? Sounds chemistry-related to me.

Anyhow I suppose we'll get used used to it :?

3. mlevitt

mlevitt Guest

Last fall, PTC renamed 3 existing products as "Creo Elements" products to connect these fundamental product design/modeling and visualization products to the new Creo brand: Pro/ENGINEER became Creo Elements/Pro, CoCreate became Creo Elements/Direct, and ProductView became Creo Elements/View.
      See http://www.ptc.com/products/creo/intro- ... -elements/

Next month, PTC is planning on releasing 9 Creo 1.0 applications for different roles.
      See http://creo.ptc.com/2011/03/25/creo-1-0 ... new-names/

Thanks!
      Mark Levitt, PTC
      http://www.twitter.com/ptc_analysis

4. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Thanks for the links Mark. That makes much more sense to me now!

5. mlevitt

mlevitt Guest

The name "Creo" was chosen because it means "create" in Latin and "believe" in Spanish. Creo software is designed to make engineers and others involved to some extent in product design more creative and believing that their needs are being met.

Mark Levitt, PTC

6. jamjumpin

jamjumpin Member

The name is irrelevant, what matters is if the product does what you want to it to do in a logical manner.

Changing a name as well known as Pro/e just serves to confuse everyone.

7. jamesneihoff

jamesneihoff New Member

I agree that Pro-E has been a great tool. There is also a brand awareness that goes back many years.

Having been searching for work recently, I see fewer requests for Pro-E experience and more for Solidworks, UG, Catia and the rest. I am actually looking at getting trained on a different tool at my own expense because of the lack of demand for Pro-E experience.

To me changing the name seems like a desperate move to somehow gain market share from those who are non Pro-E believers.

However, a rose by any other name still smells like a rose....

If PTC really wanted to gain market share, they should simply unlock the product. Unofficially allow individuals to "pirate" the software thus building the user and knowledge base over time. Companies that choose to utilize the software will always purchase it anyway or risk major fines. If you let the user base grow organically by giving it away to individuals, more companies (the real software customer) will see a stronger user base and will tend to more readily implement Pro-E since they will not need to send everyone to training.

Autodesk very successfully used this tactic in the early days. Everybody and there brother had ACAD loaded on their PC. All one needed was a copy of the floppy disks. (remember those?) Individuals aggressively taught themselves how to use it at home after work. Autodesk pretty much gave it to the school systems and within the course of a few years dominated the market. Not because it was the best tool, (far from it) but because it had become the de facto standard.

Currently PTC lets one use a trial version that expires in 30 days. If anyone has gone through the process, it's a big pain. The reseller has to issue the license, which he could care less about since there is no money to be made. And with a 30 day timeout, it's useless. Find me a non current Pro-E user who can get up to speed and learn the tool within 30 days and I'll hire them today.

Wake up PTC. The perception is beginning to look like you are a sinking ship grasping for answers.

James

8. mlevitt

mlevitt Guest

Hi James.
      You make some good points about the benefits of distributing free licenses in generating greater usage. This needs to be done carefully so that commercial users don't start asking why they are paying for their licenses. License and maintenance revenue is needed to fund continued product development and support, especially for the entirely new products like Creo Parametric, Direct etc.
      We have traditionally offered significant educational discounts on our software and continue to explore ways to lower the cost of entry for our users.
      Two of our Creo direct modeling products are available free without any expiration date:
      1) Creo Elements/Direct Personal Edition (formerly known as CoCreate Modeling Personal Edition) http://www.ptc.com/offers/tryout/pe3.htm
      2) Creo Sketch (shipping in July)

Thanks!
      Mark

9. srdfmc

srdfmc Well-Known Member

Well I knwo many other CAD software that cld be branded CREO too when come the time to give a desesperate call to the 24/24 technical support ;)

Might be there the futur of CAD : Gold prices and strong belief

10. jamjumpin

jamjumpin Member

There's a company I want to work for that use Pro/e so I thought I would download the trial to get a bit of a head start on it. I applied for a trial about a month ago now and I've still been sent a download link? What's the point in me having to wait weeks for a link? What James said above seems to be the reason why I still haven't got it.
      If you don't allow future customers and users access to your software then they will simply go elsewhere to other companies who can provide the trial straight away.
      If I can't test your software, how do I know if it's any good? If I need to wait months for a trial download, does that reflect on your customer service quality too?

All this stuff about piracy is nonsense. It's a complete waste of the companies time. You probably spend loads of money on software engineers writing software locks when their time could be better spent developing new features.
      If I don't know someone with a disc (and to be honest who wants to be caught giving out their work's copy to mates) I can get any software I like off the torrent sites, and they all have activation cracks and serial generators.
      If a human has coded it, a human can hack it, and they will. People jailbreak the iPhone the day it comes out.
      The only people you penalise is the users. I've spent weeks trying to get the mac version of Sketchbook pro activated with Autodesk, and I've got a legit license for it!

What does Creo even mean? Is it because Pro Engineer looks like it's just for hardcore engineering and not product design? You could argue that Inventor is a bad name because it says it is aiming at amatuers in their garden sheds. What does NX mean, what does Catia mean, I-deas sounds like a childs game.
      No-one cares! This is the professional market where no-one belives marketing or hype, they just want the right tool for the job that will help them do what they need to do to make money in the most efficient way.

Pro/e is such a well known brand in CAD. Do HR departments know you've changed the name, do job agencies know, do people looking for work know? It's basically just confusing to the end user. Do people know that Creo and Pro/e are essentially the same thing?

"We are, however, renaming our existing Pro/ENGINEER®, CoCreate® and ProductView® products at this time under the Creo Elements sub-brand in order to unite the exciting future vision of CAD and the elements from which it was derived under one product family."

and:

Creo is the realization of PTC’s vision and strategy to redefine, re-energize and revolutionize the CAD market.

All your users just fell asleep at about the 4th word.

Further to confuse people, you have 3 versions of creo insuring that everyone gets confused when people shorten the name to just creo, or job posters don't know what they're talking about (which is the norm).

Pro/ENGINEER becomes Creo Parametricâ„¢
      • CoCreate becomes Creo Elements/Direct™
      • ProductView becomes Creo View MCAD™

Sorry to totally rant at you, it's 7am and I've not had my morning cup of tea yet.

11. design-engine

design-engine Member