• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • project : flying probe tester

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Naoumee, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Naoumee

Naoumee New Member

Hi
      I'm an engineer student and I want to buid a flying probe tester with two probes. I should make it so that the two probes won´t crash into each other. I 'm not good enough at mechanical design. Any suggestion please. I need your help

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

What is a "flying probe tester"?

4. Naoumee

Naoumee New Member

Flying probe test systems are often used for testing PCB. they use electro-mechanically controlled probes to access components. Commonly used for test of analog components and short/open circuits.

5. robertjeffery

robertjeffery Active Member

A quick google of "Flying probe tester" brings up all these incredibly complex and accurate CNC probes. To what level do you want to produce your probe tester?

-what accuracy? +- .25mm maybe +- .05mm??
      -what roles are you performing with this tool?
      -does it actually require to be CNC?

You ask for suggestions in your initial post.
      relying on your desired accuracy isn't to ambitious, for a simple solution to your problem. research people who have made DIY CNC router and DIY CNC Plasma kits, I haven't actually done the homework myself, but I would expect a tolerance of +- .25mm. replace the tool with an electrical probe.

you then ask about, so they do not crash into each other......?? well generally its the cnc programmers job to ensure the tool doesn't crash into the chuck on a cnc lathe, I would expect it would be the same in this instance.

hope this might be of some help.

6. robertjeffery

http://editorial.designtaxi.com/news-pin3105/1.jpeg

Just an Blue Sky thought...

if you where to have an entire block of spring loaded pins, like pixels on an old computer screen. each pin was connected via a relay to your "multimeter"? the entire block was pressed down onto the printed circuit board, and only the pins of interest where connected to the information source.

rather then have the pins spring loaded, you could use pneumatic pressure to hold the pins onto the board.

Just a thought.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    7. Naoumee

Naoumee New Member

Hi , can you help me please with suggestions how can I make a simple flying probe with 4 probes .

8. robertjeffery

Find a youtube video of a similar machine and the community will suggest methods of achieving the same output. I'm assuming that you are not willing to purchase because either too expensive / want a challenge / or what you are looking for doesn't exist on the market place.

9. Naoumee

Naoumee New Member

This is my graduating "industrial" project.
      The existing flying probe tester is more complex (with linear motor and complex mechanic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHUvlFd11dU
      I look for a simple solution (stepper motors ...)

10. robertjeffery

A Linear motor is just a ball screw / lead screw with a stepper motor driving it?

if this is for a 10,000 word dissy, then I really think that this a little complex challenge, you would probably get just as good marks from analysing the stress distribution and material selection of the probe?

lets start this thread from the other angle, what are yours strengths with this kind of machine? The CNC control? sheet metal fabrication? precision machine work?

what I'm trying to imply, is this is a massive project and company's manufacturing these tools will have many engineers working on them. from the probe design being possibly wire eroded out of a sheet of copper, to the ball screw and bearing arrangement of the linear actuators, to the sheet metal fabrication of the enclosure and the complex CNC control system driving it. finally to the output system not collecting any residual static from all of the stepper motors and 3 phase invertors driving them.

What are you realistically looking for from this forum?