• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Project with Pulley and gears

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by ARB, Nov 6, 2011.

1. ARB

ARB New Member

Hi All,

I am in grade 4 and for my school project, I need to design a project using pulleys and gears where this design can be used to help the disabled people move more easily.Further i need to do a model of this as well.

I thought of designing a compound pulley system where a disabeled kid can easily lift himself to the top floor from the wheel chair using a canvas seat .But I don't get an idea where I can use gear in it to complete the project.I need some help from any one of you to help me get an idea .

At the same time if you think there is a better idea rather than mine using pulley and gear please help me thanks.

ARB.

3. celtic1967

celtic1967 New Member

Hi ARB,

Is the purpose of the project to make use of pulleys & gears?

Now, when you say "disabeled kid can easily lift himself to the top floor from the wheel chair using a canvas seat", can I assume you mean this kid is in a wheelchair? If so he will probably need to take the wheelchair with him to the top floor, in which case a canvas seat might not be the best option as this guy will still need his wheelchair on the top floor. And if not what sort of disability would he have? And lastly, how is this any better than a stair lift that already exists?

Celtic1967

4. ARB

ARB New Member

Hi Celtic 1967,

Yes it is a project to "use pulleys and gears where you can help a disabled person move easier".

Using Pulley:If the kid is disabeled to walk he can lift himself and then assumption is there is second wheel chair at the top floor.My idea is to help a disabled kid in country side where they don't have the provision of stair lifts.

I am not sure how to use the gear.

If you have any better Idea please let me know.

Thanks for ur response.

ARB

5. Bill @ ERG

Bill @ ERG Member

An easy way to use both would be to run a chain wheel or pulley with rope to a worm drive on a drum. This could drive a pair of cables around two matching sets of pulleys to operate a light lift on which the wheelchair could ride - create an elevator. The worm gear would need to be self locking, and could be mounted along with the cable drum on a crossmember on the lift platform. The disabled person would stay in their chair, and operate the chain loop to raise or lower the lift platform.