• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Question on types of washers

Discussion in 'Joining & fabrication' started by aknotley, Aug 17, 2009.

1. aknotley

aknotley Active Member

There are quite a few types of washers available:

e.g. Spring washer, star washer, plain washer, lock washers etc etc.

Can anyone advise what each type is specifically for and give me some specific examples? If there are other types of washers I haven't listed above, please could you tell me what I'm missing. Also, under what circumstances would you use different types of washer in combination?

Any advice gratefully appreciated. :)

3. aknotley

aknotley Active Member

Anyone any ideas?

4. keuninkske

keuninkske Member

I've never made a test or seen a test about it, but once a teacher from a technical training where i went told me a story.

The story told me that there was made a test in the factory where he had worked (big agriculture factory) has made a test about different washers to use.
      The type of washer showed in the picture was the badest you could use acording to the tests.
      [​IMG]

according to his story the explanation is that the iron is flattened/rolled on the single border that touches the part/ nut or screw.
      in this way the nut untightens itselfs constantly more.

what type to use he didn't told me but the first time i saw a machine from that factory i mentioned that there were used the normal, flat washers.

can not give you facts, digits or real help but i hope it helps anyone out here.

5. mvalenti

mvalenti Well-Known Member

Washers in my mind fall in 2 categories, flat and spring...

Flat:
      I will typically use flat washers to spread the load over a larger area, use when joined material is soft/weak and do not want it damaged or worse when a locking washer is used in conjunction, or use as a backer for a spring.

Spring:
      Helical lock washers are used in 95% of all my boltedconnections.
      Belleville washers are used when I need a preload.
      internal/external tooth lock washers, are used when I want to create an electrical connection by means of the washer bitting into the material.

or look here under the section marked application...http://www.mcmaster.com/#washers/=588f1m
      good luck.

-Mark