• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Rack and pinion

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Will_matt2, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Will_matt2

Will_matt2 Member

Hi every one I'm new on here so go easy on me lol .
      Ok does any body on here know any thing bout hydraulic motors we make over hedge booms for slurry tankers we use hydraulic motors to make things look neat but the trouble is we can't get it to stop and hold when spool is released a mean it keeps on running round past the point of were it needs to be can any body point me as to were we can get something like a worm drive or rack an pinion wit hyd drive much help very thankful

3. Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith New Member

Hi a couple of years ago I came a Hydraulic motor that drove the drum of a road roller, and it had a built in brake, the brake was released by hydraulic pressure supplied from a separate valve an used to stop the roller in an emergency.
      I think this type of motor is quite common,You could try someone like Danfos or Eaton .
      Regards Jonathan

4. Will_matt2

Will_matt2 Member

Thanks Jonathan yeah it's something to look into I must give it a search an see wat I can find and thanks in the mean time

5. Lochnagar

Lochnagar Well-Known Member

I personally would use a hydraulic cylinder - and a mechanism - to deploy the arm on your slurry tanker - it is a much more robust solution. See link below - and how you can get 145 degree rotation. However, you can get roughly 200 degrees of rotation on digger buckets - with a similar type of mechanism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFQJyBVjC24

However, if you really insist on using rotary actuators (rack and pinion) - there are lots of them around - see link below. Much more expensive than a hydraulic cylinder though - and much more prone to damage - so it maybe will not go down well with your end user.Farmers like things cheap and robust.

http://www.seh-ltd.co.uk/Products/PDF/cylinders/htr_1220-uk.pdf

Hope this helps.

6. Will_matt2

Will_matt2 Member

Hi lochnagar. Yep it seems something that wud work also an ur link to Parker is very useful an thanks to all who gave me so thoughts to work with :)))