• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Ratchet and Pawl Dilemma

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Gravacity, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Gravacity

Gravacity New Member

Hello everyone. I am an engineering student and have a senior project where we have to invent something. My group and I have been designing a learning and safety system for a certain application. Without giving too much information since it is a potentially patent-able idea, I have a few questions.

We are planning on using a ratchet and pawl mechanism that with each click of a tooth on the ratchet, an axle with rotate and raise a component. The component will begin at "level 0". The number of teeth on the ratchet will be the number of "levels" the component can be raised. As for the safety feature, when a variable is detected, the pawl will be released via a solenoid and the component mentioned will need to drop down to "level 0" and lock in. We are having a difficult time figuring out a mechanism which can, in one motion, release that "lock" at level 0 and proceed to raise the component, drop down and lock AND be repeated without any other steps.

Does anyone have any ideas for us? Even something different than a ratchet and pawl mechanism? Thank you!

3. Valmiki

Valmiki Member

Sorry, not really getting a clear picture from what you have said.

4. John OBrien

John OBrien New Member

I would use a stepper motor for this. Should work easily.

5. Gravacity

Gravacity New Member

Thanks John that looks like something I may be able to work with. However, do you know of anything mechanical like this? We are looking to stay away from powered components (except the arduino).

6. mcfab

mcfab New Member

Hard to get the entire picture of what your idea is but maybe some sort of sear setup like that of a rifle or pistol would be useful as it is very good at holding tension but easily released when triggered.