• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Reading list for mechanical design engineers

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by GarethW, Aug 29, 2010.

1. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

I just replied to this topic, and it crossed my mind to start one more specific to mechanical design engineers.

Please offer your suggestions of valuable reading material for any mechanical design engineer. It can be text books or non-text book. Anything goes, so long as it relevant reading for mechanical design engineers! If you want to include in a pic of a book cover instructions for doing this are here.

Here are a couple of my own offerings - things I've read recently, and would certainly recommend them:

The China Price
      by Alexandra Harney
      [​IMG]
      I'm currently reading "The China Price" by Alexandra Harney. A good read! Lots of what I've been working on over the last few years has been influenced by this very thing, so it's a very relevant read for me. I wouldn't say I'm at all surprised or shocked by anything I've read in it, however...

Universal Principles of Design
      by Jill Butler, Kritina Holden, Kritina Holden, Will Lidwell
      [​IMG]
      This is particularly good if you're a little bit product/industrial designy. Even if you're not it contains lots of fundamental principles will benefit a designer of any discipline. Hell - even if you're NOT a designer at all it's all damn interesting stuff! An easy and entertaining read - put it on your coffee table and dip into it now and then when the mood takes you.

3. Michael

Michael Active Member

I have one, but no pic: Textbook of Engineering materials, by Melvin Nord (published by John Wiley and Sons?)

4. sotkoon

sotkoon New Member

I love this book "The Elements of Mechanical Design "

[​IMG]

The author comments on some of the practical designing rules based on his experience, in brief and concise way. I think it is a must read book for all designers!