• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • recommend an affordable 2D mechanical design package?

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Ric Lightfoot, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Ric Lightfoot

Ric Lightfoot New Member

Hi. I’ve been doing mechanical designs for over 40 years. I was using CDADKEY but it is not supported anymore and doesn’t load on Windows 10. I am now a senior but delve in mechanical design from time to time, i.e. sheet metal and machine parts but I like to sketch out ideas of various things from time to time. I’m too old to try and learn or even use a 3D software package, but possibly someone out there can recommend an affordable 2D package. I’d love to hear from someone who knows rather than signing up for free trials without knowing that it is what I want. Ric in Ottawa.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2016
    3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Cadkey has always been a 3D package. It's now called KeyCreator, and is still one of the best 3D direct modelers (no cumbersome parametrics). But look at Creo/Direct; they have a free version that handles a limited number of parts. Personally, I find 2D CAD to be more cumbersome than manual drafting. A lot of people seem to be using Google Sketchup, though.

4. John Kerr

John Kerr New Member

If you do a search in google for "Draftsight" this is a free 2D drafting software very similar to AutoCAD LT, it is free to use and has no restrictions.
      It belongs to Dassault Systemes (they own CATIA & SOLID WORKS)

5. SCIYER

SCIYER Well-Known Member

6. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

I just can't get on with Draftsight at all. I have it with SolidWorks and find it the most awkward, unfathomable piece of junk imaginable. I only use it for the odd thing such as editing or deleting layers from a DXF file - very simple stuff that you think would be easy to figure out without having to "learn" the package. However, such simple things always seem to be a lot of aggro. Before Draftsight came along, SolidWorks used to throw in a different 2D package. I can't remember what that was called, but it was perfect!

7. GarethW

Ric - I have removed your email address and phone number from your original message. Hopefully this will prevent a lifetime of spam.

8. K.I.S.S.

K.I.S.S. Well-Known Member

Garewth, it was called DWG editor, and it was great - I couldn't agree more, Draftsight is junk...

9. K.I.S.S.

Sorry, cleft palate. Gareth.

10. GarethW

Ah yes - DWG editor it was. Those were the days. I recall lamenting its loss a few years ago.

11. K.I.S.S.

I blame Dassult, I'm sure they're running down SW in order to promote Catia. But rather than subvert Rics thread, I'd agree with Dana and also suggest Sketchup if all that's required is some 2D doodling.