• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Regarding gearbox orientation

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by resonanceshah, Aug 9, 2011.

1. resonanceshah

resonanceshah Member

Hi,

Another challenge i am facing in my designs is regarding gearbox oil. I have an application where the gearbox output shaft is originally pointed upwards. During operation the assembly rotates and thus the shaft turns horizontal. For something like this, I am trying to figure out what gearbox to use.

Most gearboxes are filled with oil and hence have a breather plug. During ordering, it is necessary to specify the orientation of the gearbox so that the breather plug position can be decided. I am unable to think of a solution for my problem other than switch to grease filled gearbox. However, there are not too many manufacturers for grease filled high torque bevel gearbox (approx. 800 Nm output torque). Hence, came to this forum to learn a bit from the designers here...Is there a better solution to my problem than turning to grease gearboxes. Hope someone can help me out.

Thanks
      Reso

3. michmichyo

michmichyo Member

Hello Reso,

Even if your application (or any tool you have) make the output shaft point upward, you can imagine in real life all output shafts cannot point upward.....

1/ Can you try to modify the direction of these shafts ?
      2/ if not, do you really HAVE TO use this application ?

Basically, oil is much more convenient for gearboxes. you can have a very simple carter enboxing your gears (with horizontal output shafts) that you can fill with oil until you have contact between oil and gears.

Then this oil will lubricate all your gearbox by contact.

Regards,

Michmich

4. resonanceshah

resonanceshah Member

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. However, gearbox shaft pointing upward is extremely common. Take the example of a 2 axis welding positioner. Initially the shaft points upwards and when tilted by 90 deg, it is horizontal. Just to give you an idea kindly visit the link below.

http://www.koike.com/positioning-soluti ... oners.aspx

There are infinite manufacturers making these.

Thanks
      Reso

5. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Connect the breather to a flexible hose and route it so the opening (with a filter or screen on the end of the hose) is above the gearbox in any orientation.