• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Research into mechanical arms.

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Brit Sasser, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Brit Sasser

Brit Sasser Member

Are there any mechanical arms that can move less then the size of an atom (estimated about .152 Van Der Waals.) incrementally and three dimensionally on every axis? If not what is the smallest controlled movement an arm can make thus far?

3. gnewell

gnewell New Member

It is not clear if this is something you need or are trying to achieve or whether you are asking out of general interest.. I apologise if the following titbits are useless to you..

I assume you are aware of AFM equipment, wikipedia has a good explanation.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_force_microscopy

Obviously there are companies like Newport who offer piezo stages with open loop incremental resolution of <1nanometer. One wonders if it is possible to combine such piezo techniques with traditional micro manipulators to achieve even smaller movements. Companies like Huxley Bertram, Cambridge UK invented the micro-manipulator 30years ago and are quite possilbly the most competant and creative mechanical engineering company I have ever come across. If you are looking to buy or build bespoke equipment and in need of professional advice/ideas contact them!

Does that help?

Graham Newell
      Manufacturing Manager
      Owlstone Nanotech

4. Brit Sasser

Brit Sasser Member

No, thank you, It is all very useful information and Yes, i do already know about AFM equipment. I visited Huxley Bertram Website and i will be contacting them tomorrow about the subject. Thank you again for taking the time to give me the advice.

5. Brit Sasser

Brit Sasser Member

Well, just a little update, its been a few months of me waiting for replies. I have tried contacting various manufacturers of mechanical arms through emails and other various methods of communication (short of calling) and surprisingly got no response from any of the manufacturers, is this subject taboo?

6. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Sometimes it takes a phone call. Some companies are very good at responding to emailed inquiries, while others don't seem to be "with it" when it comes to modern methods of communication.