• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Reverse Engineering a Motorized Air Pump

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by WhoKnowsAnonymous, Dec 28, 2012.

1. WhoKnowsAnonymous

WhoKnowsAnonymous New Member

Hi Folks,
      I am here with interest in helping my nephew (12yrs) design and build a motorized air pump. My nephew has a passion to become a mechanical engineer some day and is also passionate about air rifles. We were brain storming ways that we could utilize engineering (DIY) to improve the everyday experience of a typical air rifle hobbyist (pellets). Although this project is not for any academic purposes they will serve as a gateway experience to thinking about function and design. Anyways, we hope to use basic mechanics and motors designs to devoid the manual labor required to increase the pressure in a air rifle (3000-4000psi). My research came up with a device that does exactly this--> http://www.network54.com/Forum/79574/thread/1237007498/Tired+of+Hand-pumping-- It appears the motors churns the bearing-like system that rotates the big wheel that powers the pump. This seems very practical and easy but I don't know where to start.

I am looking for any advice or guidance that could help us. We appreciate any constructive criticism that can be provided by this online community. We would also accept any guidance that might offer a more efficient, compact, and cost effective design!:D

I apologize if this thread doesn't meet the typical standards for this forum. Also, as a math/sciencey guy, I accept any guidance that might stump the layman.

3. daji

daji New Member

You could use a single valve to prevent it seak, and add once time to put the air.