• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • robotic arm articulation.

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by sirah, Dec 5, 2011.

1. sirah

sirah New Member

Hello everybody.
      For a future project, I'm gathering informations dealing with articulated arms.
      As I don't have any engineering background, Your knowledge will be precious.

I discovered the JACO robotic arm.
      My question is about the articulations of this arm.
      How are they engineered?
      I guess stepper motors are used but how are they integrated in this elegant articulations?
      The design feature I' m interested in is that motors are not moved back off the arm.
      They are in the same axis than arm segments.
      How do we achieve this? How things are made, in order to prevent weights to be supported by motor shafts?

Forgive my "newbieness" and my english.
      I hope I have been clear enough.

Thanks for your replies!

3. tonycro

tonycro Well-Known Member

Where to start;

How are they engineered? Lots of R&D

I guess stepper motors are used but how are they integrated in this elegant articulations?

I suspect that there is a central shaft that passes through the joint and this is the motor rotor from one side of the joint to the other but fixed on one end, the 'stator' is formed around this on the other side of the joint. This would allow an unlimited rotation and when each joint has the same freedom you get this range of motion.

The design feature I' m interested in is that motors are not moved back off the arm. They are in the same axis than arm segments.

By this you mean the motor are within the arm ? then yes, I believe they are.

How do we achieve this? How things are made, in order to prevent weights to be supported by motor shafts?

not sure what you mean ?

tony.

4. srdfmc

srdfmc Well-Known Member

Browse the web for any patents related to this field.

There is a lot of info and idea you can dig out just doing such a quick survey.

5. sirah

sirah New Member

Sorry again for my english.
      As motors are in the arm I wanted to know how the bearing of the motors could not suffer from holding the whole weight of the arm.

After further research yesterday. I think harmonic drive servos are used in this robot. Their bearings can support heavy loads and their "hollow shaft" feature allows wires to go through.

By the way thanks for your reply srdfmc. It 's a good idea for future researches.