• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Running the same copy of Solidworks on two different machines?

Discussion in 'SolidWorks' started by brads, Jul 9, 2013.

1. brads

brads Active Member

I have read that you can run the same licence of SolidWorks on two computers. I work from home a lot, but I can only use SolidWorks in the office. It would be useful if I could work on SolidWorks on my home PC as well. I have just read that this is possible. Is it as simple as just installing it on my home PC using the same licence code? Is it just two versions you can run? As I have a laptop which it would also be handy to have it running (although very slow).

3. JakeNixo

JakeNixo Member

As far as I know it is as simple as installing it on your home PC. You just can't have SolidWorks running on both computers at the same time.

4. vishwas12982

vishwas12982 Member

I think its possible .. it will be simple installation only..

5. SixtySpeedTwin

SixtySpeedTwin New Member

Yep that works fine having two installs of one license, this is what i had on my laptop and tower.
      The only time it doesn’t work so well is if you have a network license account. Then you have to borrow a license whilst connected to the network to the second install, this then locks it to say the lap top and your first install no longer starts. To be honest it’s a pain in the behind and really draconian.....

6. SixtySpeedTwin

SixtySpeedTwin New Member

An update to this: SolidWorks now have a HUL (Home User Licence) which you can apply for and fill out a form promising not to run it as two concurrent copies, then you can install a second copy onto your laptop.

7. engineeringdesign

engineeringdesign Member

it worked for me thanks for the updates

8. Dale Carlson

Dale Carlson Member

The HUL is intended for one person who has/uses SolidWorks at work to also have/use it at home. It use to be known (unofficially) as the 80/20 rule. 80% at work 20% at home.
      A standalone seat comes with two installs with one being intended for home use. If it is a network seat contact your reseller for the HUL agreement.