• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Sausage Filling machine gear combination

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Gert Odendaal, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Gert Odendaal

Gert Odendaal New Member

I am currently building a sausage filling machine (mechanical gear system) I need to use a racket and pinion system, but with the gears position in such an arrangement that the forward stroke will be slower than the back stroke. I need the backstroke to be fast as to refill the tube again with meat. If possible I want to use a handle that can be remove and fit onto the other gear end to change the forward or rearward direction.

I would really like to hear from the members.

3. fishon91

fishon91 Member

Have you ever used a baitcaster fishing reel? The kind where the fishing line Goes through a little eyelet attached to a groove in a rotating rod. The rod that the eyelet is attached to has grooves cut in it so that the eyelet moves back and forth to evenly place the line back on the reel evenly. I don't know anything about stuffing sausage or what your machine really does, but you with that fishing reel mechanism you can cut more grooves on one direction to make it go slower one way than the direction with more grooves. Not really sure if this could be applicable to you or not. I just saw that as a way to make a faster retrieve than the other direction, and maybe easier to do than finding a way to do that with a rack and pinion

4. Gert Odendaal

Gert Odendaal New Member

Fishon91
      Thank you kindly for the reply , I am going to look at your concept I am sure I will be able to use it in a build where I want to build a retriever ratchet.
      Kind Regards
      Gert

5. arpit.verma

arpit.verma New Member

Use Quick Return mechanism

Dear Friend, Have you seen whitworth quick return mechanism. This Mechanism is used in shapper machine to return the beam carrying tool fast. Forward stroke of the beam remain slow while backward stroke remain fast. I think you can develop your mechanism by implementing the idea of shapper.

6. Steve6br

Steve6br Member

Gear system

[HR][/HR]Gert, I worked with sausage filling machines in the UK for some years during the 90's. I note from your post that you are looking to use a reversing gear system to fill the product and wonder how "thick" the sausage meat mix is? In the UK we use rusk in the mix that results in a mix that has just about zero flow capability! It certainly could not be drawn into a chamber under vacuum alone, for example. More normal is to use positive pump pressure to move it with vacuum added purely to "degass" the mix so as to avoid air cavities etc. Looking at your location, I suspect you are using more of a "German / Dutch" approach without rusk, giving a more fluid product?
      My only suggestion is that you use your plain gears to pump the meat but drive them using an epicyclical gear set. This arrangement is what is used in auto gearboxes in cars. All gears are engaged all the time and you can change ratios by altering which set of gears are driven and which are "locked". I am sure you will find details on the net and if not get back in touch. It should do what you want and there are suppliers making them "off the shelf"

7. pcdcox

pcdcox Member

Is pneumatics out of the question. Could you use say a rodless cylinder. If this is possible you could use speed controllers a both ends and achieve the speeds you require.

8. MSBT

MSBT Member

Perhaps you could somehow incorporate a coil-spring that would be compressed or stretched during the forward movement and when the end-of-travel has been reached the gearing is disengaged and the spring-potential then triggered to retract the plunger quickly to allow reloading.

You could certainly do a quick patent-search in classification A22C11 to get some more ideas. For instance, GB586611 refers to a high-speed reverse drive.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    9. Gert Odendaal

Gert Odendaal New Member

Sausage Filling machine gear combo

Thank you kindly for the replies, it is appreciated. I need to keep in mind that there will be pressure when moving the meta forward in the tube, so the gears really needs to be sturdy. I need to add bearings as well, this project is going to be used a lot of times during the hunting season and even outside the hunting season. I can buy a sausage filling machine from the shelf, there are extremely good products, but so can anybody , I want to design and build it myself, at least then I know what is wrong when something brakes.

I did some research and decided to cut my own gears and build my own gearbox.

Kind Regards

Gert

10. maniacal_engineer

maniacal_engineer Well-Known Member

I concur

I would agree with this. shapers have to push hard enough in one direction to shave the metal they are shaping, and then return quickly when not under load. If you look up gingery machines in yahoo groups you will find a group dedicated to home built machine tools, and it has lots of good pictures of the mechanism of a shaper. Some of theose old shapers have run for years, so the mechanism is pretty robust.

11. johntargell

johntargell Member

Yes I agree too -a Whitworth mechanism is the thing you want NgnxhLwOE4s

Cheers John T