• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Scanned Drawing Organization System

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by staylor, May 2, 2013.

1. staylor

staylor New Member

I have just started a new job and the company showed me all of their paper copies of drawings they have. Non of them have an electronic file and many of them are still from the pre-CAD era and are manually drafted. They will be scanning them to .pdf. There are drawings for different equipment at different plants. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on creating an organization system for these drawings, sorting them by location and category of drawing. The system has to be easy to access and add to. Thanks!

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

I would start by looking at the many commercial software packages out there that do just that. Most of these packages allow lots of customization, so you can define the categories to index, sort, or search on, i.e. part number, description, subsystem, location, material, supplier, etc.

4. fshnow

fshnow Member

You need to start with how these files will be used in the future, as to how they will be sorted, be researched, or even added to a pdm, or other management software. The name and the title will have to be set up so as to work with something. A good conversation with someone in your organization may save you many hours in the future from renaming everything.

5. staylor

staylor New Member

Do you have the name of any or suggestions as to some that you have found successful in the past?

6. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

There are many, just search for "document management software". You know how it is, everybody grumbles and finds fault with the one they're using, since it's always chosen by the IT guy and not the engineers using it. But anyway, right now we're using SmarTeam from Dassault, which I believe is one of the more expensive ones. It allows drawing check out, check in, and revision control for multiple document types. If you're looking for a system to archive your new CAD drawings alongside the old pdf scans, you preferably want something that integrates well with the CAD system. Some are tailored to (and often sold by) a particular CAD system, while others are more generic. If you only want to organize the scanned drawings as a static resource separate from new documents, then a simpler system, even a homebrewed one, could work. At the simplest, a spreadsheet or an Access database with a few simple forms would do it. Who will use the system (engineers, or also people in the shop looking for an old drawing) will also affect what the user interface needs to be.

7. OB.YEMOH

OB.YEMOH New Member

I think it all depends on two things
      1. Do u want a manual document organisation system? If yes then you can organise the drawings by each equipment( with dates created), under each department, under each project . You can use a suitable Microsoft office. Suite or simply organise them into folders

2 electronic document organisation then u need to draw every scanned document with a suitable cad software and following its documentation process.

8. kgurumurthy

kgurumurthy New Member

I have participated in the team which had to convert 200,000 paper prints of different drawing sizes to electronic document finally. The drawings were in USA. They were scanned by a A0 scanner, to become a tiff file. Each scanned file carried an auto naming by the scanning equipment. Every day 1000 drawings were scanned. It was made sure the 2 bit colour was chosen to keep the file size less.

These 1000 files were passed on to India through ftp server. There was a team of 20 people whose job is to clean the dots, rename the file using the drawing number given inside the drawing, any doubt on dimension, phoneup the USA guy to verify from original and place back the file in ftp server in USA.

The @USA, the documentation in charge will print a copy of the cleaned file and make a one to one check with the original. On approval, the scanned file will be released to the Drawing management system through an Engineering Change Notice. At this point the original paper drawing will be destroyed.

The drawings are critical documents and contents are extremely important and the whole process was carried out with care. The people who worked in India were qualified draftsmen. Drawings are always linked by Bill of Material. Hence all that is needed is a Drawing number to save with a revision under slash. Since pdf saves multiple pages of a drawing, that takes care of multiple sheets.

This is just to give you a feed back.