• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • scissor lift

Discussion in 'Calculations' started by LOKESH AGARWAL, Feb 26, 2012.

1. LOKESH AGARWAL

LOKESH AGARWAL New Member

Hello Everyone,
      i am designing a scissor lift for the platform of base 200mmx150mm with the payload weight of 2KG. i want to lift the the platform to at least 5 feet without using the hydraulics.

can anyone give sugesstions on hoe do i proceed and do related calculations?

thank you

3. Virgule

Virgule Active Member

If you don't want to resort to hydraulic thrust to deploy the scissor lift, you could use air pressure instead. If you don't want any jacks or pressure containing devices, the 2 ways that come to mind to transfer power would be via a leadscrew or a rack and pinion system.

The design process for a product of that amplitude is quite vast. How I would approach it would be something like :
      - Set design parameters :
      -- Available space
      -- Needed lenght of run (height)
      -- Live load lifted
      -- Run speeds and accelerations
      - Design the platform and pantograph structure (X pattern), calculate dead load
      - Using one of the power transmission devices, define coefficient of coupling (will influence length of run needed on the power generation side)
      - With the total load, for all the run cycle (acceleration, constant speed, ...), taking friction and efficiency into account, calculate the power needs
      - Select the power generation device (ex: electrical or diesel motor)
      - Design the power transmission assembly, adjust parameters
      - Instrumentation and control
      - Auxiliary systems
      - Safeguard
      - Review each step of the design process, adjust if needed

Also, you should look into standards on this kind of equipment. This could help you in choosing the right materials, looking for specific security factors, safeguarding, designing with fatigue failure in mind.

In terms of what theory you'll need to apply, this will require a lot of strength of materials, some dynamics, some physics, electrical... Tell me what you need help with and I'll point to towards references.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
    4. LOKESH AGARWAL

LOKESH AGARWAL New Member

Respected sir,
      thank you for your detail explanation, i think the lead screw idea is good and now i am on the calculation of the dead weight and other parameters. will let you know if any help needed.