• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Self Standing Mounting Frame

Discussion in 'Calculations' started by Davide, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Davide

Davide New Member

If I built a mounting frame with some UPN profile welded together how can I calculate the maximun weight of objects that I can fix on it and how can I calculate the size of anchor bolt.

Is there any simple calculation for load and streight or free software that can help me.

Is there any other info I have to know?

Thanks,
      Davide

3. CPPMable

CPPMable Well-Known Member

I find these questions very hard to answer but I will try. I can answer the questions as simply as it is asked. Yes, it is possible to do some calculations to determine the allowable weight on a UPN extrusion.

Without more information on the design / loading conditions it will be impossible to provide more advice. Don't know what type of failure to calculate for bending, buckling etc. But there are very simple equations out there that can be utilized to calculate the stresses in a beam and then just check to see if it meets the yield of the material.

I would highly suggest if you are not aware of these equations to hire a mechanical or structural engineer to provide some guidance.

4. Davide

Davide New Member

Thanks for your reply. Sorry for my non detailed question but I'm not an expert in these matters.

Obviously I have done this question because I hope to do these calculation without Structural Engineer (I have to avoid extra costs on project) and moreover the frame could be change many times before final realization and I can't pay an engineer every time, but I need calculation for every step and all revision.

Would like know/calculate the maximum weight before bending, minimun size for floor anchor bolt, add or not diagonal braces...

5. CPPMable

CPPMable Well-Known Member

Davide, I would like to direct your attention to this article I stumbled across today and thought it was pretty informative and mostly like the graphic as I have worked with many companies trying to cut some money out of designs (by reducing calculations, testing, etc) and pay for it dearly in the end. I like the graphic in that article and shows you get what you pay for as we all already know but helps put it into the minds of upper management.

Why change the frame many times? Design it once and use it. If it is a custom solution for different costumers you should be able to obtain a set of design criterion from a engineer and if you stay in those bounds it should suffice the calculations in all states.

Unfortunately with what you have provided us so far no one here will be able to help you. It isn't like there is one nice equations that solves everything. Without sketches, loading conditions, and design not much we can help with. You can google how to calculate all the items you are interested and will get results but need to understand which equation to use for your design to avoid a garbage in garbage out solution.

Sorry this isn't much help but can't help without the right information.