• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Serendipity in the Design Process

Discussion in 'Industrial design' started by HLenn, Mar 18, 2013.

1. HLenn

HLenn Member

Mar 2013
      Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section.

I am aiming to reach a large number of engineers who go
      through the design process on a regular basis. below is the description of a survey I am undertaking as part of my 3rd year project. I am aiming to test the hypothesis that "Serendipity is a phenomenon arising from both strategy and environment."

t the end of the project I will be looking to develop a framework that can be followed to increase the potential for serendipitous influence, but currently I am attempting to determine which bits of the the theory of serendipity are correct.

The aim is to study documented cases of serendipitous occurrences, and from this produce a framework that could guide design orientated research and the creative process. As part of this I am surveying people who undertake design work on a regular basis, both professionals and people who may stay class themselves as “home inventors”.

I am willing to directly contact people with a copy of this survey via email, and have uploaded a copy to (see below). Anyone who completes the survey can PM me and I will give them my email address. Please feel free to post any questions here, along with any criticisms of the survey. And thank you for taking the time to read this.

The survey can be downloaded below:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2013