• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • small motor shaft

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by zubair, Dec 1, 2011.

1. zubair

zubair Member

Hi friends! i have come across a problem. please help me in this. i have purchased a maxon motor whose shaft diameter is 1mm and its shaft length is 2.9mm. i have to mount a pinion of face width 4.5mm on it. now if i use it in same situation the pinion will act as cantilever beam whether or not? what should be alternate safe solution?

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

If the pinion width is wider than the motor shaft, you may have a problem with it loosening over time. It would be better to select a motor with a shaft that extends all the way through the pinion.

2.9mm is a very short shaft, even considering the tiny 1mm diameter. You might want to reconsider what you're doing, as the bearings for such a tiny shaft won't handle much load.

4. zubair

zubair Member

thank u dear.
      i shall try to stress upon choosing other motor to my supervisor but what if he insists on using this motor.......and insists about lack of budget to buy new one..................

5. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

If he insists on using the motor you have... you have a problem, unless you can instead use a narrow, say 2mm, face pinion on the motor shaft.