• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Snow in London

Discussion in 'The Leisure Lounge' started by Pete, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

That's it. I'm screwed - its snowing in Chelmsford and London - I may as well spend the night out here in Essex as all trains busses and even underground trains will now grind to a halt for the next 2 -3 days...

3. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Bah Humbug...

4. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Pathetic isn't it? I'm fortunate that there's no snow here in Cambridge today - last time there was a slight dusting of snow it took me 2 and a half hours to travel 5 miles to walk.

5. matt_decat

matt_decat Member

luckily for you, you dont live in melbourne, australia. i think we officially have the worlds worst train system (well in the western society at least). If you miss your train, there is a 20 minute wait for the next one (and that is on a good day). constant train delays, overcrowded trains and last summer the train tracks were buckling because of the heat, causing train lines to stop running for a couple of days and the trains that were running had no air con so it was close to 50 degrees inside the carriages. thankfully, the government has kick connex out and has found a replacement to run our train network!

6. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

I've become slightly sceptical about the "buckling rails" excuse.

I've also heard "there's a swan on the line", and the world famous "this train has been delayed due to leaves on the line"....

I'm sceptical because a mainline express train i was on got cancelled due to "track buckling due to the heat", so all 8 or so carriages of people had to race to a single carriage local service to get home - the driver came out to see what was going on on his train - I explained the problem - trying to sound all knowledgeable - and he laughed in my face and said "HAH! That's what they told you!"

Bored train driver stirring up trouble, or global rail network conspiracy. You decide.

7. GarethW

The best one that I experienced was "a light aircraft has crashed onto the line...". :shock:

8. GarethW

Looks like I'm walking to work tomorrow. There's now 3 or 4 inches of snow on the ground in Cambridge! :(

9. Casting_Supv

Casting_Supv Member

In Wisconsin USA snow is a regular occurrence. [​IMG]

Driving home from the plant during our first storm of the season.

10. mvalenti

mvalenti Well-Known Member

I'm just north of Boston, about 30 minutes. It is amazing, we usually get hammered with snow, several inches, and Boston and surrounding towns get "a dusting". I find it quite comical when areas of the country, and world, get snow and everything halts... Not a plow to be had, shovel, or rock salt...

BTW, I call BS, on the 3-4 inches in Cambridge..... You guys use the metric system! Sheesh... Whats next? furlongs by fortnight?

;) have a great holiday season all!

-Mark

11. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

According to the BBC (yes, snow does make the news), "England doesnt get that much snow, so its not worth spending massive amounts of money on. When it snows, we just have to cope".

I admire a fine example of a stiff British upper lip - but last time it snowed in London (February) all the Underground trains stopped - explain that!