• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Software for managing development projects?

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by brads, Apr 30, 2013.

1. brads

brads Active Member

I now manage a few independent development projects running simultaneously. My role has gradually moved away from hands on design, more towards resource management. The main resource I deal with is my team of engineers but I do also have to consider production time (prototyping only and has not yet caused a problem).

I currently use a homemade Gantt chart in MS Excel which I have expanded from when I was just managing my own projects, as I never could convince my company to buy MS Project.

Unfortunately my home made Gantt chart is taking too long to modify on an almost daily basis so I am now looking for alternative software. Having had some demonstrations on MS Project, I don’t believe that it is very efficient when managing multiple projects sharing resources? It looked perfect for running a single project and allocating resources for it, but not running say 8 independent projects. Please could somebody who uses it advise if this is the case?

I have seen software (I can’t remember the name) that is used for production planning which looked more suitable. I know that programs such as MS Dynamics has a production planning ledger. In other peoples opinion is this a more suitable program? Do others perform a similar job role? If so what software do you use? Any advice welcome.

3. Wmech

Wmech Member

Hi Brads,

In my experience, we use MS Project or Excel to perform the project management. However, I have heard a really good alternative that has been used by other people.

Milestones Professional is probably the one i have heard over and over again in the industry. It can handle multiple projects with one software. However, I haven't used it before, just heard a good name about it. And you have to buy it.
      http://www.kidasa.com/

Another one i have used is called GanttProject. It is a free software that suits for my need. It's pretty much similar to MS project. But what i don't like about this program is the printing method of it.

Hopefully it will help

4. srdfmc

srdfmc Well-Known Member

GanttProject is fairly basic but works well. The problem you'll encounter is that most of your partner will certainly enjoy modifying your files. What they can not do with a Freeware most of the time. Excel/Ms Project hve a much wider base of user easing overall communication. With Excel and some basis knowledge in VBasic, you can get pretty fast a customised software that can be shared with your users (client) and tailored to your specs need.

5. Wmech

Wmech Member

I didn't have that problem about someone else modifying the files since i was the only one who wants to use the project management program. But i do see your point of easy access of modification of the files.

6. brads

brads Active Member

Thank you for the suggestions. I have used GanttProject for a few months but it wasn't for me. From what I remember there I couldn't link and constrain tasks appropriately (it just seems a little too basic) but it is free. Also as one of the posts above said I struggled with formatting the gantt chart for printing. Maybe I gave up a bit quick?

I will take a look at the kidasa software, I've never heard of it before, sounds interesting.

It sounds like it's more common that I thought to use Excel for this purpose. I just find it too time consuming to modify. Maybe other people stick to deadlines?