• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Software purchasing let me down

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by sammi, May 22, 2019.

1. sammi

sammi New Member

I am a new engineer at a factory and our company want to purchase a new simulation software.
      Our manager ask me to compare the software and discuss with the accounting department. Then they will buy for us.
      I found that the process communicates with the accounting department waste me a lot of time. Because most of them only care about the price.
      So, how do your company purchase a software?
      Will you can purchase for your own then apply for reimbursement or you should ask the accounting department to buy them for you?

3. s.weinberg

s.weinberg Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

For software, I always go through the company.
      This sounds like a 'you' problem. Of course, not knowing the software, accounting's only real visibility is the price. You have to make the case as to why the more expensive package is worth it.
      If your boss told you to go through accounting, buying it yourself and asking for reimbursement sounds risky. That's not the approved process, and reimbursement is probably not a certainty. Especially as simulation software is probably a recurring cost, not a one-time fee. You definitely don't want to be saddled with that.

4. sammi

sammi New Member

Thank you for your advice. So, in your company, the purchasing process will be done by the accounting department? Thank you!