• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Soil Screenig mechanics

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by ralphey, May 25, 2013.

1. ralphey

ralphey Member

Would go bigger

HI Chris:

Being adverse to manual labor I would probably go bigger so I can use my tractor front loader to put the soil in (6 ft bucket )- you tube has some great videos on home made trommels. YOu are talking me into changing plans lol!

heres the home made metal bender - that I was talking about - real nice job !!! I could use that to bend tubing

http://gordsgarage.wordpress.com/2010/11/01/bent-outta-shape/

I like this one looks simple to build woudl have to figure out drive mechanism - I think turn a small wheel that sits against the circular frame?

CDnrCP4RsPo

3. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

If you're using a loader, here's one I made earlier lol: http://www.hartl-crusher.com/en/videosfotos/screener/videos/

The "Tuff Man" is a good example of a classic Trommel design. You could roll your own rings with a simple roll like your example, a friend used one like that for years as a commercial ornamental ironworker. His used a car jack to raise the pressure roller for adjustment.

It would be easier though if you can find channel or angle section rolled flange outward, then you can support the drum on rubber tyred wheels which will be guided by the flanges. Unless you overload the drum, friction drive by powering one or more of the wheels will drive the drum. Heavy duty Trommels have a gear drive to prevent slip, you may not need anything so elaborate.

Good luck.

4. ralphey

ralphey Member

kool !

Hey Chris thats a real kool and ingenious idea !

YES angle that is rolled would be great - I guess I could roll tube stock then flat stock and weld them together - this was one of the reasons I swithced to the flat screen - I wasnt certian how to get the drive mechanism going - I was thinking a rubber tire as you mention up against some flat stock - if I could do the above and get the same curve that looks possible Does the tire need to be wedged between flanges? I guess I could bend some small tubing and get at least a 1 " lip on each side -

5. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

Using your hand powered rolls, you could roll a flat ring then tack weld two tubes or small box sections to form channel. The reason for running wheels in a section is because you need a few degrees off horizontal to stop the oversize spilling out both ends.

A flat screen is easier to make using simple materials and tools but they need to be mathematically correct structures to work well and safely, and even commercial prototypes can be subject to unexpected failures. You know where you are with a drum!

If a driven wheel doesn't give you sufficient friction grip (don't forget to put the driven wheels the correct side - so the rotation piles up the fill over the wheel) a small drum could be driven by wrapping a long drive belt or vee-rope round the drum body.

6. ralphey

ralphey Member

Obvious

Ah yes I guess that was rather obvious - with a tilted drum the wheel may tend to slip off !

well I think I am going to make the tubing bender first then maybe the trommel !

I was just thinking about setting this up - to push the wheel up against the trommel frame I would mount the wheel on a shaft between two pillow bearings then I would take that whole setup and with compression springs push it against the trommel - I am thinking two springs with maybe 125 # compression strength ?

I woudl drive this with (if I can still get it cheap ) a 10HP tecumseh engine horizontal shaft engine mounted below using belt drive

Skate board wheels for rollers on the 4 end corners of the trommel

7. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

Depending how big you want the drum, think about resting it on 4 rubber tyred castor type wheels. On one side use 2 freewheeling wheels, on the other side fix 2 wheels (without bearings) onto a shaft supported on 2 pillow block bearings. Drive this side with your engine and there should be enough friction drive to turn the drum. This arrangement is a bit like a car brake test roller rig. Vee belts or chains could give a good reduction ratio. 4" or 6" wheels will be able to take the weight without getting crammed with soil.

Depending on size, about 20rpm will be good, I can calculate critical speed if you have a diameter in mind. If you exceed 1g centripetal acceleration the fill will stick to the walls and not cascade, very bad!

8. ralphey

ralphey Member

SOunds good

Thanks for the input Chris I am going to order some supplies for the metal bender and a friend just got a bridgeport milling machine so we can make a nice handle after I get that built I will start on the trommel and let you know what size we go with !

Ralphey

after that we can build my log processor lol !

9. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

Go for it Ralphey, the log processor is interesting as well. Thinking of building a wood pellet press myself as my son's wood shop is turning out more sawdust than you can imagine.

10. ralphey

ralphey Member

INteresting

I have looked at some pellet systems - the saw dust has to be the right humidity and then a "glue" of some type is added MY understanding for wood pellet stoves is that the augers need a very consistent size of pellet thats why you can just use wood chips. I have an outdoor boiler that consumes massive amounts of firewood (not a problem where I live other than the immense amount of labor that goes into getting the wood ! - hence the log processor ) but its inefficiency compared to a wood pellet stove is astounding

what we need is a system that takes firewood chips into pieces then feeds into the boiler system ! hey thats a kool idea wonder if anyone has done that ?

11. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

Oh yes! forestry chippers are pretty common but immensely expensive. I don't think Dynam make em though ;) We have a small garden shredder which does a good job on trimmings but the next size up costs megabucks.

I see on the news this week that the UK is planning to import US shredded timber to fire a converted power generating plant. Take a last look at your trees guys!