• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • solidworks

Discussion in 'SolidWorks' started by Rich, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Rich

Rich New Member

Any advice on learning solidworks? Never worked with a cad program

3. paulmac66

paulmac66 New Member

you tube

You can find loads of videos from users, cad trainers and official sw training videos on you tube.

4. PeterB

PeterB Member

Solidworks used to provide thick printed tutorial manuals in the early days (1990's) but stopped doing so later, when they embedded tutorials and help systems into the software. You can access those tutorials and guides from the software once you have booted into it. They start with the basics and then open up into more advanced work which you can do at your own pace.

In my office, designers without CAD experience were up and running to do some useful work in a couple of hours of starting either the printed or the embedded tutorials. So it shouldn't be too difficult to learn for most.

But of course, you will need a running copy of SWks for that and cannot brush up on these without it. I believe that Swks can offer copies of the software to learners in various countries, at low prices or free for a period. Many engineering and design colleges also have the software available to their students too. You may need to contact your local Swks supplier to find out what the current situation is or check on their websites.

5. srdfmc

srdfmc Well-Known Member

Yes, follow the tutorials seriously (one by one) and assigned you realistic objectives. If you hev some programming bckgrd and/or some workshop experiences, it will be pretty easy to understand how it works. This stands for 3D designing only.

SW is certainly one of the CAD software with the easiest access on the market for beginners IMOHO.

Learning how a material will works or how an assembly shld be built is another stuff obviously. You'll need some serious reading.

6. murphyja99

murphyja99 Member

Solidwork's program packaged tutorials are actually pretty good for learning the operation of the program at a basic level. The problem is if you've never worked with CAD then you may actually have some problems as you can take either top down or bottom up approaches to design with it. If your asking yourself "what does that mean?" Top down you build all of your models in place from an assembly and there is a lot of external part links, bottom up you start by designing the individual pieces and then put them together. Each way has it advantages and disadvantages. At my company we tend to do bottom up since soildworks USED to have serious problems with external links. Not really sure if they've solved that.

If you have zero cad experience and you more interested in learning it than needed it for work, look for a class at a community college or tech school that offers 1 off classes. for the $200 investment you should get a student id and you may be able to buy a student license for a deep discount. The real advantage of this is that you should get a teacher that will provide you some of the basic knowledge of properly building a model and referencing features. That knowledge will go A LONG WAY. people that have never used CAD quite frequently make models harder to work with then they need to be and you'll spend a lot of time fighting with them. If this is for work, see if the company will send you to a user group meeting, the ticket price is low, but 2 days of overhead might not be something they are happy to float.

I agree with srdfmc, I've used several CADD packages, solidworks is about as easy as they come for 3d modeling, the drafting side is OK but it really sucks if you want to do 2d work. Best of luck to you.

7. moiz

moiz Member

i would go with the inbuilt tutorials for the begining.. they are really good. once thats done for any specific stuff you can always find related videos on youtube.

8. kushy

kushy Guest

With basic engineering drawing and the inbuilt tutorials guidance one can easily learn solid works.

9. xtremeash1989

xtremeash1989 New Member

I want to learn solid works

I want to learn solid works from starting. can any one help me.......

10. CPPMable

CPPMable Well-Known Member

I currently teach CAD software in a University. It is best to like many mention start with tutorials and learn the basics of each tool (ie. Extrude, Revolve, Blend, Sweep, Glove, Round, and such). Then to really learn the program start picking up everyday objects and try to build them in the computer. Best of luck there are many great websites, books, and tutorials available.

11. xtremeash1989

xtremeash1989 New Member

I want to learn solid works

Can any one give me tutorial adress to learn Solidworks. i am really interested to learn Solidworks