• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Some examples of consumer products I have designed

Discussion in 'Your mechanical design work' started by GarethW, Nov 27, 2009.

1. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

I thought I'd add a few examples of things I've designed over the years. I would love to post some more whizzy stuff that I've recent worked on, but unfortunately so much of that is confidential. Here are a few examples of some consumer products I did the mechanical design for when I worked for a large Japanese company (1996 - 2000)

[​IMG]
      This is a large injection moulded front frame of a 32" widescreen TV. This product will probably seem quite ancient in comparison to the LCD TVs that everyone has now, but this was the company's flagship product in 2000. I think it retailed for around £900 back then. The product weighed in at around 75Kg!

[​IMG]
      This is a photo of the various chassis frames that I also designed to fit this particular range of TVs. There were a variety of sub-boards for different models. Lots of features were designed into the parts to make things quick and easy to assemble. Hooks were designed into the frame to fit with cutouts in the middle of the PCB, castellations around their edges. The drop test requirements were particularly stringent, and great care was taken in the design to prevent damage to vulnerable areas of the PCBs on impact. The smaller sub-frame was actually moulded in the middle of one of the apertures of the big frame to save tooling costs. Taps were designed into the injection mould tool to allow it to be moulded (or not) depending on what model we were producing.

[​IMG]
      A close-up of the rear socket-panel area, showing the sub-frame.

[​IMG]
      Close-up of the inside of the socket panel and centre speaker grille.

[​IMG]
      A mechanical layout of a digital set-top box that I designed the injection moulded parts (and general assy) for. All done in 2D back than!

[​IMG]
      My first project as a graduate trainee. This is a 21" mono TV front that I designed. We made many thousands of them! A great feeling to walk into a shop and see them for sale. One time I was in a nightclub and there was a whole array of them above the bar. It was quite surreal! Again - all designed on 2D CAD. It was damn hard work projecting all those sections to ensure that everything fitted correctly (speakers/button block etc). This was particularly tricky as this TV had the "old-style" spherical Cathode Ray Tube - not one straight line on the damn thing!

[​IMG]
      A photo of the digital set-top box I did the mechanical design for.

3. Camid

Camid Well-Known Member

WOW! impressive moldings Gareth - I did some gas assisted stuff I will have to dig out and upload...

4. GarethW

Cheers! I'll look forward to seeing your mouldings too :)

5. willz

willz Guest

Gareth - Are you on Linked-In?
      If so, look up my profile and lets connect - Will Zeober

6. kevin136

kevin136 Well-Known Member

very impressed with your articles!
      and interesting in the story about your first works

7. GarethW

Thanks very much! How's your stirrer machine project going, Kevin?

8. kevin136

Hi Gareth!
      Testing different motors those day,to confirm the speed,torque and temperature rise.
      The machine is very strict with the motor temperature.

9. kevin136

Actually as a guy join in this field 2 years, as for mechanical stuff just at the beginning i think.
      You know a student graduated from university in China lacks of practical experience quitely.
      Hence I found this forum :p

10. Jigar Patel

Jigar Patel Member

Rear socket panel area design is more complex.