• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • spherical fresnel lense

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by metobe1, Oct 20, 2010.

1. metobe1

metobe1 New Member

Hi guys,i have been looking at solar power systems using fresnel lenses,driving stirling type generators.These systems all require some form of solar tracking devise.Question 1 does light travel through a sphere in a direct path.Question 2 does light perform in the same manner through a glass sphere as an acrylic or other clear plastic medium and would a sperical fresnel provide an improved light output.Cheers :)

3. LinkedIn Gopher

LinkedIn Gopher Little furry chap

Question 1: does light travel through a sphere in a direct path?

1: I am not sure what you mean by a 'direct path'. Light is subject to refraction and attenuation passing into a more dense medium.

Question 2.1 does light perform in the same manner through a glass sphere as an acrylic or other clear plastic medium?

2.1: Yes, depending on what you mean by performance; the materials differ in refractive index, of course. Are you imagining a hollow or a solid sphere?

Question 2.2 and would a sperical fresnel provide an improved light output?

2.2 A Fresnel lens is flat. The geometry you would generate from trying to map a Fresnel lens onto a sphere is something a little different. In the case of a Fresnel equivalent of a spherical lens, the transformation would result in a smooth spherical surface. The devil is in the details.

I understood this to be an optical light gathering device, as in 'light input'. I don't understand the suggestion of improved light "output".

Cheers :)

Link to source here

4. Lloyd

Lloyd Member

5. mvalenti

mvalenti Well-Known Member

why did the voice of Dr Evil pop into my head.... sharks with freakin lasers.......