• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Spiral bevel gears and flexible shaft

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by texteditor, Jan 25, 2012.

1. texteditor

texteditor New Member

I want to join 2 stabiliser fins on the side of a ship with a flexible drive shaft so that only one drive motor is needed.
      If I use normal bevel geras I will get a reversal in the direction of motion.
      Can I correct this by use of handed spiral bevel gears? and if so what would be the configuration?
      Sorry I can't show a picture but I can't post attachments.
      Thanks in advance texteditor.

3. Blazest

Blazest Member

Yes it possible=) You just need to add one additional gearwheel with the same gear ratio in conection to the ''reversed wheel'', and it will turn as you need.
      here is scheme how it works
      [​IMG]
      so just choose the right rotation

4. Blazest

Blazest Member

5. Erich

Erich Well-Known Member

Can you tie both stablizers together with one shaft and couplings and then drive that shaft with a motor and gear reduction. perhaps a worm drive?

6. Blazest

Blazest Member

Actually if to use any kind of drive at the center of my scheme (I mean a worm, flexible, any kind of gears wheels) it will give a needed direction of motion=)

or maybe I didn't understood smth?

7. vic.blackall

vic.blackall Well-Known Member

I would suggest that in this problem there are several issues to consider, assuming that;

1 The stabilizer fins should work together and in the same direction.

2 The stabilizer shafts may not necessary in practice be coaxial.

3 The reverse loads back through the fins to the operating drive should be minimized.

In order to satisfy all of these criteria I would suggest that a motor with an attached high reduction worm and wheel gearbox be used, this would have the effect of locking the fins in position when the drive is off. The gearbox output shaft should be a through shaft, on each end of the output shaft should be connected twin module flexible couplings. Each coupling connected to each stabilizer shaft.
      Keep away from using spiral bevels under any circumstantial in whatever application unless the setting up and shimming can be guaranteed.